Old 22-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Josh

Default Startup Plants - have extra?

Again, i just wanted to thank everyone for their great advice. I am
hoping to finish my pond this weekend and fill it up! I had aquariums
as a kid for a long time, so I am expecting some of the initial
goldfish may not make it, but this will be my first water home with
city water. I have been told letting it sit for a few days will take
care of the city crap in the water.

After that, I would need to throw various plants in it, I have a
biofalls as a filter but I am planning on growing plants in the pond
as the main anti-green-water method along with providing additional
filtration. There are sooo many out there, I was wondering if those
of you who have used them can help me find some good ones? I have
also been reading alot of people splitting them, if someone has plants
that they are splitting and (if they would survive shipping to
Atlanta, GA) would like to send them to me I can paypal money for
shipping etc.

Thanks!
Josh

http://www.woosworld.net/pond/
Old 22-03-2004, 08:37 PM
BenignVanilla

"Josh" wrote in message
om...
Again, i just wanted to thank everyone for their great advice. I am
hoping to finish my pond this weekend and fill it up! I had aquariums
as a kid for a long time, so I am expecting some of the initial
goldfish may not make it, but this will be my first water home with
city water. I have been told letting it sit for a few days will take
care of the city crap in the water.

Before you toss your fish in, spend the $15 to get a kit and test for
chlorine and chloramines. It's well worth the money, and that way you can
ensure your fish are safe. Chlorine dissapates fairly quickly, but the
chloramines do not appear to do the same. You are playing with disaster by
not testing.

After that, I would need to throw various plants in it, I have a
biofalls as a filter but I am planning on growing plants in the pond
as the main anti-green-water method along with providing additional
filtration. There are sooo many out there, I was wondering if those
of you who have used them can help me find some good ones? I have
also been reading alot of people splitting them, if someone has plants
that they are splitting and (if they would survive shipping to
Atlanta, GA) would like to send them to me I can paypal money for
shipping etc.

Some great plants for filtration are Water Hyacinth, Water Lettuce, Parrot's
Feather, Water Celery, Frogbit and Duckweed. All are very invasive and
illegal in some states due to the voracious growing habits. Check out the
Plant area at IHeartMyPond.com,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/topiclist.asp?l=2&c=Plants for more information
on good plants for your pond.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 23-03-2004, 01:05 AM
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"Josh" wrote in message
om...
Again, i just wanted to thank everyone for their great advice. I am
hoping to finish my pond this weekend and fill it up! I had aquariums
as a kid for a long time, so I am expecting some of the initial
goldfish may not make it, but this will be my first water home with
city water. I have been told letting it sit for a few days will take
care of the city crap in the water.

Before you toss your fish in, spend the $15 to get a kit and test for
chlorine and chloramines. It's well worth the money, and that way you can
ensure your fish are safe. Chlorine dissapates fairly quickly, but the
chloramines do not appear to do the same. You are playing with disaster by
not testing.

Testing as BV says is good, but if you find any chlorine, as measured by the
chlorine test kit, which is also in chloramine, then you need to use a
chlorine detox. There are a number of different ones that will take care of
the chlorine, but if you have chloramine, then the other half of the
chloramine is ammonia. For a new pond with chloramine, you can have a
significant ammonia spike, so testing for the ammonia spike to clear and the
subsequent nitrite spike should be done prior to the fish being introduced.
--
RichToyBox

Old 24-03-2004, 04:38 AM
Sean Dinh

Being in SoCal, I usually have abundant Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuces
at this time. However, this year, all my WL are dead. I only have a few
tiny WH left. I went to a few water plant stores to restock. They had
none.
GL...

Old 24-03-2004, 08:43 AM
joe

Wish I had heard that sooner - I just chucked two trash bags full of WH.

Joe in San Diego

On 3/23/04 4:14 PM, "Sean Dinh" wrote:

Being in SoCal, I usually have abundant Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuces
at this time. However, this year, all my WL are dead. I only have a few
tiny WH left. I went to a few water plant stores to restock. They had
none.
GL...

Season Startup ~ jan[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 11 12-04-2009 04:15 AM
startup club M.E. Gardening 3 15-02-2006 09:03 PM
does anyone have any extra cutting they can send to me? (central florida) 6lkl6l Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 23-11-2005 04:25 PM
Bio-filter startup time? O3raledale Ponds 27 03-03-2004 04:10 PM
Aqua Medic CO2 Reactor Startup The Kenosha Kid Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-02-2004 04:03 AM