Old 25-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Pond Newbie

Default KOI Questions - Thanks to everyone!

Petsmart does the same thing. The people who work there are your typical minimum wage
clerks, who know little of nothing about Koi or even tropical fish. I remember them
telling me that "These koi won't get very big in a small pond", and "Koi won't eat
anything living, only plant matter." LOL.

And I wondered where those smaller minnows kept going....

Many times it isn't out of malice-the people are just repeating what little 'training'
they have received, or even worse, repeating what other clueless employees have told them.

This place is a goldmine of information. Don't trust what you hear in most pet stores.

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

"Wayne" wrote in message
om...
Good point, Joe. Let me query the wife a little bit more and find out
who/where she got them.
The store does need to educate their people a little bit beyond just how to
make the sell. Thanks for replying.

"joe" wrote in message
Well, even if you do build that 3000 gal pond, you should go down to the
store and talk to the manager. Maybe the guy who sold the fish just didn't
understand Koi and ponds or perhaps he was just trying to sell something.
Either way the manager or owner should be given feedback to help prevent a
future incident.

IMHO

Joe

On 3/24/04 2:58 PM, "Wayne" wrote:

Or, we could give them back to the store and let them
keep the money but I'm not sure that they would even take them back. I
probably wouldn't because of risk of contamination to the rest of their
stock. And even if the store did take them back, then they'd just sell

them
to someone else that doesn't know better. As I said, I'm in a quandary

but
I won't let the Koi suffer for sure.

Old 25-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Wayne

PetsMart is where my wife got the 4 Koi and the salesman was just as you
say. I'll be paying them a visit in the next few days to talk with them
about selling my wife the Koi and all of the misleading information that
they gave her. 4 more goldfish would have been fine, but no, push the small
Koi as good substitutes for goldfish, ignorant salesman.

Old 25-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Wayne

Thanks GG, I'll keep your recommendation under advisement g.

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message
Over-night them to me!

Old 25-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Wayne

Old 25-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Alan R Williams

"Wayne" writes:

PetsMart is where my wife got the 4 Koi and the salesman was just as you
say. I'll be paying them a visit in the next few days to talk with them
about selling my wife the Koi and all of the misleading information that
they gave her. 4 more goldfish would have been fine, but no, push the small
Koi as good substitutes for goldfish, ignorant salesman.

Maybe the salesman doesn't know the difference between Koi and
Shubunkin.

Alan

--
Alan Williams, Room IT301, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
Old 25-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Pond Newbie

Small fingerling goldfish (feeders) = $0.24
Small fingerling Koi = not sure of exact price, but it is much more than $0.24
I think it is profit motive.

Petsmart is not a great place to go for pet information. They do have puppy classes, that
seem to be competent, but other information I have gotten from them (or heard them give
other customers) has been WAY off.

Even one step worse is WAL-MART! Their fish are usually in deplorable condition, and the
person working in "Pets" is often the same one who worked in Automotive or Housewares the
day before-no training, no knowledge-so they tell you what they think you want to hear.

I bought a half-dead Oscar at a Wal-Mart one day, and brought him home. The kid working
the pet department actually tried to talk me out of buying him, knowing he was surely a
goner. I insisted and he bagged him for me. I took him home and shot-gunned him with
Mar-Oxy, Maracide, and Maracyn-Two. He miraculously recovered and lived about five more
years, going from a tiny two inches to over 9 inches long.

I have bought fish at Petsmart, and Wal-Mart, simply to save them from their fate. My Koi
are both from Petsmart, the Comet was a feeder, and the fantail is also from Petsmart
(bought for a small ten gallon aquarium. All my Bettas are from Wal-Mart. I feel so bad
seeing them in the little cups that I bought as many as I had room for.

I did notice the last time I was there that they are in much bigger 'cups'-about twice the
size they used to be in! It isn't much, but it is a step in the right direction.

Good luck at Petsmart! Perhaps they will agree to take the fish back.

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-
then you may be able to email me.

. com...

Old 26-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Judi9000

If you take fish back to pet Smart they will kill them. At least that's what
they told me. Try another pet store.
Old 26-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Judi9000

Old 26-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Critical Popperian

Is you live in GA area and their livelihood is at stake, let me know we have room
Old 26-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Critical Popperian

Is you live in GA area and their livelihood is at stake, let me know we have room
Old 26-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Judi9000

Old 26-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Critical Popperian

Is you live in GA area and their livelihood is at stake, let me know we have room
Old 27-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Wayne

Thanks but we live in the Charlotte area of NC.

om...