Old 25-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Wayne

Default KOI Questions - Thanks to everyone!

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Nedra, I'm like you. I don't want
the Koi to suffer either but now I'm in a quandary. Keep 'em and I've got
to either give them away to someone with a larger pond, big enough to
accommodate them or enlarge mine to the 3000 gallon equivalent that everyone
seems to recommend. Or, we could give them back to the store and let them
keep the money but I'm not sure that they would even take them back. I
probably wouldn't because of risk of contamination to the rest of their
stock. And even if the store did take them back, then they'd just sell them
to someone else that doesn't know better. As I said, I'm in a quandary but
I won't let the Koi suffer for sure. Thanks again to everyone.

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
Well ... everyone can plainly see I lose my temper
very quickly. sigh It's inbred!

Lee, you have the best advice ...
Wayne, please hurry with that 3,000 gallon pond. We don't
want the Koi to suffer!

Nedra

"Lee B." wrote in message
(Long sigh) - yeh, the guys at the local fish store told me my 100 gal.
preform would support 5 koi, too. Then I found out OTHERwise! No way. I
think they just want to sell fish: after all, if you kill them, you'll

come
back for more, right?

Better start planning and break out the shovel: you'll be turning your

nice
little pre-form into a veggie filter or a header for the water fall to

feed
that new 3,000 gallon pond you'll have to dig very (VERY) soon G!

Lee

"Wayne" wrote in message
om...
I installed a 220 gallon pre-formed pond for my wife about 3 years

ago.
It
has a fountain filter and plenty of plants. The water is extremely

clear
with only 10 goldfish in it. She surprised me today by bringing home

4
small fingerling Koi to put in the pond. I urged her to take them

back,
that they are too much and will get too big for the pond. She argues

that
they aren't going back and that she will get rid of them if they get

too
big. She also said that the guy who sold them to her told her that it

would
take about five years for them to get six inches long. I think that

he's
full of crap and that my wife has lost her wits. Feedback on this

matter
will be deeply appreciated.

Old 25-03-2004, 09:22 AM
joe

Well, even if you do build that 3000 gal pond, you should go down to the
store and talk to the manager. Maybe the guy who sold the fish just didn't
understand Koi and ponds or perhaps he was just trying to sell something.
Either way the manager or owner should be given feedback to help prevent a
future incident.

IMHO

Joe

Old 25-03-2004, 09:24 AM
Wayne

Good point, Joe. Let me query the wife a little bit more and find out
who/where she got them.
The store does need to educate their people a little bit beyond just how to
make the sell. Thanks for replying.

Old 25-03-2004, 09:31 AM
GrannyGrump

Over-night them to me!