Old 26-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Drew Cutter

Default Air Manifold and Taps : 55 gal drum

How do you add a air manifold and tap to a 55 gal drum (plastic) ?
Pictures ?

Old 27-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Snooze

"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
How do you add a air manifold and tap to a 55 gal drum (plastic) ?
Pictures ?

I made a tap 2 different ways. The first way is kind of crummy and doesn't
as well as I hoped (but good enough)

Method 1
You'll need
1: 3/4" nipple, stainless steel from a plumbing supply is preferred but
galvanized will do.
2: 3/4" pvc threaded couplers (schedule 40)
3: 3/4" garden hose faucet (may need some adaptors)
4: a roll of Teflon tape.
5: a tube of aquarium caulking (not kitchen/bath or window)

Procedure
1: Drill a 3/4" hole into the drum
2: wrap half of the nipple with Teflon tape
3: Screw the pvc coupler as far as you can onto the taped nipple. You'll
need to go as close to the halfway point as possible. So you'll need 2
wrenches and a buddy.
4: Push the nipple through the hole with the pvc coupler side on the inside
of the drum
5: screw on the garden hose faucet on the other side as tightly as possible.
6: seal the gaps around the drum to make it water tight

Method 2
You'll need
1: two 3/4" schedule 40 couplers
2: a foot of 3/4" schedule 40 pipe
3: 3/4" schedule 40 valve
4: 1 bottle schedule 40 cleaner
5: 1 bottle schedule 40 solvent
6: pipe cutters
7: a tube of aquarium caulking (not kitchen/bath or window)

Procedure
1: Drill a 3/4" hole into the drum
2: cut a about 3" section of pipe
3: clean 1 end of the pipe and 1 end of the coupler with the cleaner
4: apply the solvent to the pipe and coupler
5: push the pipe into the coupler as far in as you can
6: push the pipe through hole, and repeat.
Note steps 4 and 5 have to be done quickly (the solvent sets very quickly)
7: seal the gaps around the hole with aquarium caulking

In my examples I used 3/4" pipe, which is fine as a drain for emptying the
drums during cleaning, but you'll need at least 1.5 or 2" pipe for your main
plumbing.

Good luck
Sameer

Old 27-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Drew Cutter

Did you have help with this ? I will print this out and take to the
local plumbing outlet. Do you use a air compressor or a air pump ? a
little confused on which to use. I went to lowe last night , no manifold
or taps. I guess I keep search here locally. thanks.

Old 27-03-2004, 03:02 PM
A.N.Other

"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
How do you add a air manifold and tap to a 55 gal drum (plastic) ?
Pictures ?

Some questions:
Why do you want add a manifold?
How much air?
Where is the air coming from?
I am assuming that the drum is vertical how deep is the liquid inside the
drum?
Is the drum complete or has the top been cut off?

Old 27-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Drew Cutter

Some questions:
Why do you want add a manifold?
How much air?
Where is the air coming from?
I am assuming that the drum is vertical how deep is the liquid inside the
drum?
Is the drum complete or has the top been cut off?

My best understanding is to shake up the beads and to clean off the
beads . I sure sameer can give you a better explanations.

Old 27-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Snooze

"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
Did you have help with this ? I will print this out and take to the
local plumbing outlet. Do you use a air compressor or a air pump ? a
little confused on which to use. I went to lowe last night , no manifold
or taps. I guess I keep search here locally. thanks.

Oh my mistake, I think I misunderstood your question, I described how to
make drain valves. I don't use a bead filter, because I don't feel I have a
need for one. I also don't have an aircompressor because oxygenation of the
water isn't an issue.

If you want it to make a bubbler, here are a few brainstorm ideas.

1: Easiest just drop an airhose and an 8" airstone in from the top, rest it
on the bottom of the drum.

2: drill a series of small holes into a 3/4" schedule 40 pipe. Use the
smallest drill bit you can find, maybe 1/8" or less, drill a hole into the
side of the drum and push the pipe through. (sealing it may be tricky)

3. put an airstone into the water lines

Sameer

Old 27-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Snooze

"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
Some questions:
Why do you want add a manifold?
How much air?
Where is the air coming from?
I am assuming that the drum is vertical how deep is the liquid inside

the
drum?
Is the drum complete or has the top been cut off?

My best understanding is to shake up the beads and to clean off the
beads . I sure sameer can give you a better explanations.

For his bead filter project, the drum would have the top still. The airflow
needs to be strong enough to bring the water and beads to a "boil". Drums
come in 55 and 30 gal size, so about 4ft of water depth.

Sameer

Did your Ford V8 manifold crack? Get $$$ Jim Gardening 0 21-01-2006 06:01 PM
55 gal. drum bead filter Drew Cutter Ponds 43 27-03-2004 01:35 AM
Air Manifold and Taps : 55 gal drum Drew Cutter Ponds 0 26-03-2004 09:46 PM
TAPS Newsletter Kye Orchids 4 15-09-2003 03:12 AM
CO2 manifold for multiple tank set up. Da' Fishboy Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:12 AM