Old 31-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Garry & Jeanne

Default Cement VS Flexible Liner

Thanks for the advice from everyone. Sounds like liner with lots of rock to
hide it is the way to go. Now to start real work...

"Eric and Bobbie" wrote in message
Eric wrote:
We just put in a pond this spring we live in the Chicago area. So we

have
harsh winters, We installed a firestone liner 45 mil 20 by 25 18 in deep
with a 3 ft winter over spot and have covered it with over 4 ton of
boulders from 150 lbs down to 1 lb. It looks very realistic, I have a few
other friends that have done the same and are on there 4th year with no
problems. I sloped the sides and stacked the smaller rocks on top of the
larger ones working my way up. You can not see any liner at all, I did the
same on the 25 ft long stream and water fall. It was allot of work but the
end result was worth it. We were kinda ruff on the liner but it held up

just
fine. Also just for price comparison, Liner 250.00 Rock 5 @ 85.00 per

ton.
I do have some pictures, but no web site not enough hours in the day to

make
one I guess. 4 kids lots of sports. Can email pictures to anyone though.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Nedra

Garry, Where did you read to use lots of rock??? LOL!
No ... don't use lots of rock unless they are huge as opposed
to smaller rocks. Most of us on here go for the liner with
no rock at all. The liner will be covered with a coating
of algea in no time.

Nedra

ink.net...

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
lee

Check out this site .http://www.akca.org/library/construc.htm
Would never go back to a liner. Have built four ponds with this method and a
stream 30metres long.
Charlie
"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ohhhhh ... thank you very much... I feel better now!

Nedra

"Garry M. Silvey" wrote in message
I'm talking about rock around the edges, not in the pond...

ink.net...

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
lee

Check out this site .http://www.akca.org/library/construc.htm
Would never go back to a liner. Have built four ponds with this method and a
stream 30metres long.
Charlie
"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ohhhhh ... thank you very much... I feel better now!

Nedra

"Garry M. Silvey" wrote in message
I'm talking about rock around the edges, not in the pond...

ink.net...

Old 24-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Don Cunningham

Garry,
After several years (4) of liner only we finally went with both. We had
sides and ends poured of concrete (no bottom) and put the flexible liner
over that. We have a 36in deep section at one end. The rest is 18in. What
this does is give us completely vertical sides. This seems to discourage
raccons and herons. If the concrete cracks the liner still holds water. If
you go this route, be sure to make a hole in the end away for the water
inflow for your skimmer. We didn't and the skimmer has to be inside the
pond. Would have looked a lot better dug into the ground outside the pond.

don cunningham

"Garry M. Silvey" wrote in message
I've ruled out preformed liners and am now looking at Cement VS Flexible
liner. Any suggestions? I have lots of cement working experience, so that

is
not an issue. I am looking at building a 2 pond with creek in middle

system,
a small pond above a larger pond. Larger pond will probably be 8 X 10 or

12.