Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
stricks760

Default Mosquito Control

I'm full of questions today...

While dragging string algae out of my pond yesterday, I saw a mosquito on my
arm. This is actually quite rare in my neighborhood at any time of the
year. I'm guessing she was born and raised in my pond.

I have a waterfall with three pools (each about 6" deep) that flow into the
main pond. The pond is about 1200 gallons, with 6, six inch long Koi.

(1) Can mosquito larvae live in the upper pools (where currents are fairly
strong), or will they just get washed down the falls and into the main pond?

(2) Will the Koi eat mosquito larvae, or do I need mosquito eating fish?

(3) If I put mosquito fish (which I've heard are almost as much of a
nuisance as mosquitos) in the upper pools, will they just end up in the main
pond, and not solve my problem?

(5) Should I just get those mosquito control tablet things, and live better
through chemistry?