Old 09-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Jim

Default Bead Filter, External Pump, and Bottom Drain.

I'm thinking about adding an inside-the-liner bottom drain with an
external pump and filter.

Can anyone comment on bead filters or suggest something better? I've
got my eye on the Aquabead 2.5 CU. FT. model. Here's a link.

http://www.macarthurwatergardens.com...d_Filters.html

The pump I'm considering is a Dragon.

http://www.macarthurwatergardens.com...gon_pumps.html

I also would appreciate some suggestions for an internal bottom drain.

Thanks,

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248
Old 09-04-2004, 01:33 AM
RichToyBox

Jim,

I like bead filters but you really need some form of settling tank between
the bottom drain and the bead filter. You might get by with Aqua
Ultraviolet Ultra Leaf Basket since it is so large. I found that the size
of the waste was such that it clogged the intake screen at the bottom of
bead filter reducing water flow, and was hard to blast back out of the
intake. I started out with only the bead filter the first year for my pond.
Then I added a TurboVortex, but it is too small for my ponds, clogged and
didn't backwash as well as it should, and it is mounted on the suction side
of the pump, so when it clogs is really reduces water flow. Then I took out
the TurboVortex and went with a vortex settling tank. This seems to be the
best fit for my pond.
--
RichToyBox

news

Old 09-04-2004, 02:03 PM

FOR GODS SAKE MEN .. quit with the damn imitation of Tim Taylor and the endless quest
for BIGGER, better and more machines. Make a veggie filter. Easy, simply, natural.
Ingrid

Jim wrote:
Can anyone comment on bead filters or suggest something better? I've
got my eye on the Aquabead 2.5 CU. FT. model. Here's a link.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:36 PM
GaneaRowenna

Subject: Bead Filter, External Pump, and Bottom Drain.
Date: 4/9/2004 5:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time

I just recently purchased a 3000psi Tsurumi pump. I dropped it into a 5 gallon
bucket with 3" holes drilled around for water flow, covered it with a black
mesh bag and dropped it in the bottom of my pond. I then built a filter out of
a 70 gal stock tank filled with swamp cooler pads and plants. Within a couple
of hours my pond was almost crystal clear. I should have done this last year.
I do not have any fancy skimmers, UV lights, etc. I do not even have a bottom
drain. My pond is looking great this year. I have done everything myself and
am very proud of it. I agree with Ingrid that a natural filter works great,
costs less and is much more fulfilling.
Shawn

Jim wrote:
Can anyone comment on bead filters or suggest something better? I've
got my eye on the Aquabead 2.5 CU. FT. model. Here's a link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 09-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Jim

FOR GODS SAKE MEN .. quit with the damn imitation of Tim Taylor
and the endless quest for BIGGER, better and more machines.
Make a veggie filter.

LOL Ingrid.... I have a veggie filter.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:10 PM
GaneaRowenna

I just recently purchased a 3000psi Tsurumi pump.

that should have been 3000gph. hehe
Old 09-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Jim

I like bead filters but you really need some form
of settling tank between the bottom drain and the
bead filter.

Thanks for the input. A local pond guru suggested the same thing (a
settling tank for solids).

Do you have any suggestions on an inside-the-pond bottom drain?

Old 10-04-2004, 02:32 AM
RichToyBox

There are two commercial ones that are retrofit type, one the AquaWizard,
and the other Tetra. I have mine as just a down facing pipe coming down the
side of the pond into the deepest spot. It works. The koi move the debris
to the low spot, and the lift from the bottom will pick up even rocks from
plant baskets that have been sent down there.
--
RichToyBox

Old 12-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Jim

I took out the TurboVortex and went with a vortex
settling tank.

Can you provide a link to some info on the vortex settling tank you
use?

Old 13-04-2004, 09:36 PM
RichToyBox

Here are a couple of sites that have what I am talking about:
http://www.pondtechnology.com/pages/vortexfilters.html
http://www.aquaart.com/cyclone.html
Hope this helps.
--