Old 12-04-2004, 05:32 AM
NewbieBill

Default Biofilter

Hi group - I have several questions that I post to my local group and
got little or no response. Perhaps the fact that I might actually see
these people at meetings make them less likely to just venture a
guess. In any case I would greatly appreciate your ideas and
opinions. Thanks in advance.
1) Amongst the many things I don' really understand is filtering
area and gph. Is there a rule of thumb as to how fast you run your
pump. I saw one filter (55 gallon I think) they said they turned it
down to about 200 gph for 1000 gal pond. Other 'sources' frequently
say turn you pond once an hour. Many seem to put much more emphasis of
filter area than flow. A local told me when I put in upflow sink
filter(very big around here) , my outflow looked about right. It was
probably only about 2-400 GPH and was definitely no where near 800,
which is my pond size. My box filter and many advertised say they are
for ponds up to 1000 gals but max flow rates 500 gph. Another local
answered a 'how many fish can I have post' as being primarily an "is
your filter working" issue. ie-If Ammonia etc start to rise take out
fish or add more filter. Almost never hear anyone say turn you pump up
or down. I know there is no pat answers or formula but a clearer grasp
of the concept might help my pond keeping and attempts to upgrade
filtration.
Thanxx - Bill Brister
Old 12-04-2004, 05:32 AM
Michael Lee

The only rule of thumb I know, is that it is all variable, depending on
surface area, number of gallons, number of fish, number of plants, is it
shaded, is it in the sun, what is the temperature of the water, etc.

bottom line, if your pond is relatively clear, your filtration is fine, if
it is murky and smells, you gotta increase your filtration, if it is as
clear as a swimming pool, you are filtering too much.

Really, keep an eye on your PH and ammonia levels. If they are good, they
your filter is good.

--
Shalom!
Michael Lee

om...

Old 12-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Snooze

[...]

From everything I've read, the bacteria that convert urea and ammonia live
on the surface of the media, so the greater the surface area, the larger the
bacteria colony.

Next comes the issue of water flow. The ideal flow rate will circulate the
water to prevent water stagnation, and maintain a flow of well oxygenated
water over the filter media. Water with a low oxygen content will be harmful
to the fish, and will encourage anaerobic bacteria instead of aerobic
bacteria. Anaerobic bacteria create sulfur compounds, that most people
recognize as rotten eggs or a swamp.

You didn't say if the output of filter will be sent to a waterfall, if so
the water flow rate has to be fast enough to make for a good waterfall.
Having a high water flow rate, doesn't make the bacteria grow faster or
metabolize the fish waste any faster.

However a higher water flow rate can be a good thing, if it's for a
waterfall, water fountain or other feature. A higher flow rate is visually
desirable, and exposes more water to the air per hour the a lower flow rate.

Sameer

Old 12-04-2004, 10:36 PM
RichToyBox

Many rules of thumbs, none right. The bacteria can digest the waste in a
very fast stream, or a very slow stream. The amount of waste consumed is
the same. The water coming from a very slow flow, will have less ammonia
get through the filter, while the high flow will keep the amount from
building up in the pond. A very slow flow has the advantage of allowing
solids to settle out in the filter, where high flow will keep the solids
suspended and send them back to the pond. If the filter keeps the ammonia
and nitrites down to zero or imperceptible, then the filter is a good enough
filter. A larger one won't do any more for the biological filtration, but
may help with solid removal.
--
RichToyBox