Old 12-04-2004, 06:03 AM
NewbieBill

Default Changing Bio Filter

Here is another question I need your help on.
I started my pond with a Laguna 4500 Powerflo Filter. After day 1
realized this had very little mechanical filtering, so I took a 20 gal
plastic storage box, cut a 2" hole near the top, stuffed a foam
mattress egg crate in it and set it on my pond ledge (no lid). There
is still a path of least resistance where the water doesn't have to go
through the foam and potentially spill over the sides instead of the
outflow hole. The Laguna outflow empties into the box. The box does
catch significantly more than the Laguna whose inflow is directly from
the submerged pump. Between the two they seem to work well, bio and
mechan. I want to eventually augment or replace some of this with an
upflow filter.
In the mean time the foam filter is very unsightly, and slowly
collapsing the built up ledge it is sitting on. In the short run I am
considering a smaller change- take a similar box, move the water and
foam into it (uncleaned); and plumb it with some pvc outflow pipes so
it does have to sit on the ledge causing damage and looking ugly. My
biggest question is will I lose a lot of biofiltering in moving the
contents (short term). It is working and if advisable I could wait
untill I got the upflow filter built and cycled. I was also wondering
if it would be detrimental to plumb the Laguna filter directly into
the box and put a lid with vent holes on the box (for appearance).
Right now it just falls from two outflow pipes into the box with no
lid. I wonder how much I would be downgrading the biofiltering of the
box by cutting down on the splashing into the box and cutting down on
the available air to the box, since it is currently uncovered. Again
I am just looking for educated guesses.
Thanxx
Bill Brister
Old 17-04-2004, 08:12 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Bill, you must have scared us off with the request for "educated" guesses.
;o)

Maybe we need a picture?... though I do believe to-leave-as-is till 2nd
filter option is up and running for a bit, is a good idea. ~ jan

On 11 Apr 2004 21:38:12 -0700, (NewbieBill) wrote:

[...]

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)