Old 12-04-2004, 04:06 PM
stricks760

Default Questions about S.A.B.

Hi -

Once the sun took an angle to hit my pond most of the day, and with water
temp at about 70 deg F, major string algae. It grew faster than I could
take it out -- remove in the AM, it was back in the PM. I prefer a natural
balance, but this stuff was absolutely taking over!

I dosed with String Algae Buster, and it definitely knocked it down, within
about 24 hours. The stuff became more brittle, and when removed, grew back
much more slowly. I also got some anacharis, water hyacinth, parrot feather
to hopefully start to compete with it for nutrients.

After about 5-6 days, the stuff started taking off again, so I dosed the
pond again yesterday.

Questions: (1) What kind of results can I expect with this stuff? Will it
totally resolve the problem? (2) Directions say to dose about every 7-10
days -- do I just dose it again when it starts to grow, or should I wait the
full 7-10 days? (3) The stuff is supposed to be harmless to fish and
plants, is there any downside to using it? (4) Directions don't state
whether I should turn off my UV - any comments?

Thanks - ~ 1200 gal, zone 10b, six, 6" Koi.

Old 12-04-2004, 06:06 PM

dont use chemicals. build a veggie filter and remove more of the nutrients.
what is your fish to water ratio?
use a high protein high quality fish food and dont feed so much. GF have no stomach
so the food is in and out. overfeeding just puts undigested food into teh water
which is waste that fouls the water. Ingrid

"stricks760" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Benign Vanilla

"stricks760" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

I have not had a String Algae problem, although I have had string algae. It
only occurs for me when my Veggie Filter is not yet up to full speed or is
dieing back for the winter. IMHO, killing it with chemicals is doing nothing
more then creating a Buffet of dead algae for the new algae to feast upon.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 12-04-2004, 07:32 PM
stricks760

I think SAB is some kind of a bacteria, as opposed to a chemical, but not
sure. I have six, 6" Koi in 1200 gallons of water, and a very large
cascading waterfall into the pond.

I think the problem is that my veggie filter hasn't established itself yet,
and the pond's getting a lot of sun.

I'm only feeding once a day, maybe three days a week, and only what they'll
eat in a few minutes. This is, literally, like 20 pellets.

I almost wonder if my gardener didn't get some fertilizer in there when he
fertilized the lawn, because it just went absolutely nuts after many months
of minimal issues with algae.

"stricks760" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List