Old 13-04-2004, 02:08 PM
P Verstege

Default Cotswold stone around edge of fish pond

Hello. I have a new 8' x 17' x 3' PVC-lined pond populated by 72
assorted goldfish/shubunkins and 3 koi. Around the outside of the pond
(on top of the overlapping liner) I have placed rocks. Some of these
are Cotswold sandstone type rocks I believe. I found them all lying
around the garden so I don't know for sure, but my neighbour says they
are. He also says it will kill the fish if you put one of those rocks
in the water. Questions:

1. Is this true?
2. Is it also dangerous to have these toxic rocks around the edge? It
is possible some lime or whatever could filter into the pond through
rain or overflowing.
3. Are the rocks just dangerous to fish? I found several of these
rocks in another old pond around here and there were frogs and newts
living quite happily in it.

Thanks for any answers.

Charlie.
Old 13-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Lee B.

I'm unfamiliar with "Cotswold" sandstone, but if it's a true sandstone, I
don't think you have a problem. Most rock will not release any "stuff"
(unless it's shale, which will release an oily substance which is NOT good!)
that will drive your pH too high; many of us use limestone to buffer the
pond and keep pH in balance. If it's been there a while without any problem
to the pond, it's OK.

Lee

om...

Old 14-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Steve Jackson

In message , P Verstege
writes
Hello. I have a new 8' x 17' x 3' PVC-lined pond populated by 72
assorted goldfish/shubunkins and 3 koi. Around the outside of the pond
(on top of the overlapping liner) I have placed rocks. Some of these
are Cotswold sandstone type rocks I believe.

Genuine Cotswold stone is oolitic limestone found in the Midland region
of England.

I have some limestone, though not oolitic, in my pond without any
problems.

I must say though, you have an awful lot of fish in a pond of that size,
and they WILL breed too!

Steve Jackson
Old 16-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Nedra

I've seen the "Cotswold" cottages... a beautiful stone indeed.

Nedra

"Steve Jackson" wrote in message
In message , P Verstege
writes