Old 17-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default J Lo the Koi

We've decided to name one of our Koi, J.Lo. (S)he seems to have a bottom
that is wider then most in the pond. My question is, could this be a female,
rich with eggs?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 17-04-2004, 03:29 PM
pmwebdesigns

Hahahahahahaha
Too funny. hahahaha
I'll be interested in the answers you get.
It might be Albert as well. hahahaha
Priss

Old 17-04-2004, 03:59 PM
RichToyBox

BV,

Sounds like a female to me. I have always heard the females are wider in
the beam, and males are wider in the shoulders. Of course with male koi
they also tend to have more pointy heads too. This is the time of year for
the females to be full of eggs and very broad. When the spawn comes, she
will look pitiful due to the loss of the weight in eggs. You will also need
to have some amquel on hand to detox the ammonia, and salt ready for the
nitrites that follow. I am usually not really fast enough to catch the high
ammonia, but I have had nitrites that were in the 60+ppm, with a test kit
that only reads to 6ppm. My filter will catch up faily quickly but I will
have toxic numbers for up to 3 weeks.
--
RichToyBox