Old 18-04-2004, 06:10 AM
JNJ

Default Ponds without liners....

We live on a relatively small lot (50' x 200') and I was thinking about
putting a pond in the back yard in a particularly squishy area. The
soil here is clay based and if you dig down far enough (not too far at all)
it's just nasty clay.

Other than lined ponds, I can't say as I know much about "natural" ponds,
i.e. those without a liner. I'm wondering if I can make one by essentially
digging a hole deep enough. I suppose I could then either concrete it or
put in a liner of course, but the thought of setting it up au natural
intrigues me.

Anyone done a small scale pond without a liner or have any references?

James

Old 18-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Sean Dinh

I had a small clay pond before. The problem I had was that the clay above the
waterline dried fast. That created cracks, leading to erosion and leaks.

Friends and guesses did not like that mud pond. They complained that they could
not see the fish. I loved that muddy water. However, I got rid of it because it
was in a bad location.

Old 18-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Gareee©

"JNJ" wrote in message
We live on a relatively small lot (50' x 200') and I was thinking about
putting a pond in the back yard in a particularly squishy area. The
soil here is clay based and if you dig down far enough (not too far at

all)
it's just nasty clay.

Other than lined ponds, I can't say as I know much about "natural" ponds,
i.e. those without a liner. I'm wondering if I can make one by

essentially
digging a hole deep enough. I suppose I could then either concrete it or
put in a liner of course, but the thought of setting it up au natural
intrigues me.

If you have the same type of clay we have, the water will just soak right
down within a day. For a cheap liner, buy one of those $10 round kid's pools
at walmart, and a can of black "Krylon FUSION" spray paint. Paint the pool
black with the krylon, and allow it to cure for the full recommended time
(about a week).

Dig a hole, and insert the pool into it. Leave 6" deep trench around the
pool, just like you would for a normal one, and use flagstone to cover the
pool's edges. It'll look great, and you can even add a spitter and pump if
you choose!

We picked up a few of the pools last year. when the season's over, walmart
clearances them for the lordly sum of $.50!

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 19-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"JNJ" wrote in message
We live on a relatively small lot (50' x 200') and I was thinking about
putting a pond in the back yard in a particularly squishy area. The
soil here is clay based and if you dig down far enough (not too far at

all)
it's just nasty clay.

Other than lined ponds, I can't say as I know much about "natural" ponds,
i.e. those without a liner. I'm wondering if I can make one by

essentially
digging a hole deep enough. I suppose I could then either concrete it or
put in a liner of course, but the thought of setting it up au natural
intrigues me.

I promise you...pond + clay = orange water ^ insanity.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 20-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Stephen M. Henning

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

I promise you...pond + clay = orange water ^ insanity.

I have a 17'x47' pond with only a clay lining and no orange water. The
clay was thoroughly compressed before filling the pond. Also, I covered
the clay with gravel so I can walk on it. I do not have turbulent flow.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 22-04-2004, 04:11 PM
JNJ

I have a 17'x47' pond with only a clay lining and no orange water. The
clay was thoroughly compressed before filling the pond. Also, I covered
the clay with gravel so I can walk on it. I do not have turbulent flow.

Stephen -- What did you do to compress it and how deep is it?

Old 22-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"JNJ" wrote:

I have a 17'x47' pond with only a clay lining and no orange water. The
clay was thoroughly compressed before filling the pond. Also, I covered
the clay with gravel so I can walk on it. I do not have turbulent flow.

Stephen -- What did you do to compress it and how deep is it?

We filled in a swimming pool with old concrete on the bottom covered by
2 feet of compacted clay. They drove a small Kubota backhoe over the
clay to compact it. The deep end was 8 ft deep and now it is 3.5 ft
deep at the deepest point. It is spring fed.