Old 18-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Bill

Default formalin in kiddie pool

I cannot find that particular site right now, but I am almost sure that I
read somewhere that when removing plants to a kiddie pool (salting the pond)
they should be treated with formalin. Does this sound right? If so what
does this do? If this is correct I'm sure the dosage was expressed as
applying in ppm. How do I figure that.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 18-04-2004, 10:04 PM

no. doesnt make sense. Ingrid

"Bill" wrote:

I cannot find that particular site right now, but I am almost sure that I
read somewhere that when removing plants to a kiddie pool (salting the pond)
they should be treated with formalin. Does this sound right? If so what
does this do? If this is correct I'm sure the dosage was expressed as
applying in ppm. How do I figure that.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 19-04-2004, 03:03 AM
RichToyBox

I think that what you are referring to is potassium permanganate. The PP
will clean the plants and pots and soil of any parasites without killing the
plants like salt would. I think you can also use formalin, but I haven't
seen any info on it. For PP I usually do about triple strength for treating
plants that I would for treating the pond, that is about 1 teaspoon per 200
gallons. The organics will burn up the PP pretty quick without heavy dose.
--
RichToyBox
om...

Old 19-04-2004, 06:04 AM
Bill

I found the reference and it was from Doc Johnson @ KoiVet. His reference
was "Pull sensitive plants to baby-pool and treat with Formalin in this. (25
ppm 8-12 hours) ". I have not a clue how to figure 25 ppm??? The PP that
Rich suggests sounds doable. I just don't have a ready source for it or have
any idea of its cost as compared to Formalin (in small quantities).

Rich if you happen to respond to this - do I take the PP out at some point
and/or how long must you leave it.
Thanxx
Bill Brister

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
I think that what you are referring to is potassium permanganate. The PP
will clean the plants and pots and soil of any parasites without killing

the
plants like salt would. I think you can also use formalin, but I haven't
seen any info on it. For PP I usually do about triple strength for

treating
plants that I would for treating the pond, that is about 1 teaspoon per

200
gallons. The organics will burn up the PP pretty quick without heavy

dose.
--
RichToyBox
om...

Old 20-04-2004, 04:04 AM
RichToyBox

PP will be spent, neutralized, turning a brown muddy color and can then just
be dumped. You don't need much PP. One pound will treat a lot of plants,
the pond several times, and you will still have some left over.

I have at least 2 pond dealers in my area that have PP. It is a HazMat item
so it is very expensive to ship. Look around the pond places or one of the
water treatment companies. One of my pond sources buys in bulk from a water
treatment company and repackages.

Be sure to wear eye protection and not use in a breeze, because it is like
lye in that it will burn moist tissue severely.
--
RichToyBox
"Bill" wrote in message
m...
[...]

om...

Old 20-04-2004, 04:03 PM

well... REALLY expensive is relative. last batch I bought was 16 bucks a pound and
it cost 16 bucks to ship. it lasts a long, long time.
be sure to make up a stock solution INSIDE so that you never have to worry about it
getting airborne OUTSIDE. NEVER, EVER put dry PP into a pond. that is a quick way
to kill fish.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disea....htm#POTASSIUM
http://secure.sciencecompany.com/the...Product_ID=632
or http://makeashorterlink.com/?H51523318
125 gms is about 4 ounces and will make a quart of stock solution.
Ingrid

I have at least 2 pond dealers in my area that have PP. It is a HazMat item
so it is very expensive to ship. Look around the pond places or one of the
water treatment companies. One of my pond sources buys in bulk from a water
treatment company and repackages.

Be sure to wear eye protection and not use in a breeze, because it is like
lye in that it will burn moist tissue severely.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Kiddie pool Bill Ponds 1 17-04-2004 08:11 PM
Kiddie pool Bill Ponds 1 17-04-2004 07:58 PM
Kiddie pool Bill Ponds 0 17-04-2004 03:55 PM