Old 19-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default OT Sorta...

I figger we're all geeks about large masses of water and filters, so it'd be
OK to ask you guys...

Last year we got one of those inflatable 15 foot Wallmart pools. I chuckled
about it at first, until I realized they are perfect. Set up in the summer,
take down in the fall. Shallow enough for my 3 year old to feel
comforttable, and perfect for me to sit with my above the water line. The
problem with this thing is that the little paper filter system does not
work. I am thinking of buying a "real" pool filter to keep it clean. I
realize the filter will probably cost as much as the pool did, but if it
save maintenance time, that is fine with me.

Any ideas on how big of a system I would need?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 19-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Gale Pearce

The wife also got one of the 12 foot ones, which I too thought was kind of a
joke, but is great - the problem with the filter system with these is there
is no skimmer, so everything must sink before it is pulled into the filter,
and then only after you stir it up (my wife and her great niece go round and
round the outside to create a whirlpool effect). We also found you have to
keep it covered when not in use, otherwise you have to continually switch
cartridges. I am waiting for one of mine to get a hole so I can tear off
paper and use the scouring pad type of material in my pond filters wrapped
around plastic core, held with a couple of elastics as it should be easier
to clean
I thought taking the cover on and off each time it's used would get old
real quick, but after a few times you can do it pretty easily - but yes,
that is the biggest drawback to these pools and I don't know how you could
retrofit a skimmer/pool filter to these soft sided pools
Gale :~)

Old 19-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
[...]

snip

I don't want to retrofit a skimmer, I just want a sand filter or something
similar that can filter stuff out faster/more efficiently. I have a 7 year
old and a 3 year old so debris in the pool is a standard every day problem.
The little paper filter just coulndn't cut it.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 19-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Janet

As a "big" pool owner ( ;o) ) I don't think you could realistically set up
a proper pump and filter system complete with skimmer on the inflatables.
That said there are small sand filters available for the hard-sided 3 foot
pools, the ones that must be taken down in the fall. Not sure what the
plumbing is like on your pool BV it's really hard to speculate what will
work in your situation...
Janet in incredibly windy Niagara Falls!

Old 19-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Janet" wrote in message
As a "big" pool owner ( ;o) ) I don't think you could realistically set

up
a proper pump and filter system complete with skimmer on the inflatables.
That said there are small sand filters available for the hard-sided 3 foot
pools, the ones that must be taken down in the fall. Not sure what the
plumbing is like on your pool BV it's really hard to speculate what will
work in your situation...

snip

That's what I am looking for a retrofit sand filter. I have PVC connections
for input and output on the side of the pool. No skimmer. I just want
replace this measily little paper filter gadget with something of more
power.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 19-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Lara Hart

I'm not a pool expert, but I have been maintaining my own 27,000 gallon pool
on my own--including purchasing and installing a new filter system for my
pool.

I would suggest a spa cartridge filter. They aren't as expensive as the
others, i.e., d.e. and sand, and probably small enough to use your existing
pump. What horsepower does your current pump have?

Lara

Old 20-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Fernando Rivera

Here's a suggestion, you can buy a pool pump and connect an inline leaf
strainer, that will pick up fine debris. Put the intake hose into the pool,
the leaf strainer will be located in between the intake hose and the pool
pump. After this done have the output of the pump feed back into the pool.
This is not going to cost you a bundle.

Old 20-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Janet

BV, if you can find a local store that carries the hard-sided mini pools you
should be able to find a small sand fiter for your pool. I have one sitting
here but shipping would be expensive from the Great White North. IIRC that
sand filter takes 25 pounds of silica in it. You may have to really hunt
though as the soft sided inflatable have really taken off... OH! I just
looked at the inflatable in a local catalogue and they now have a sand
fliter option!!! It's pricey though, almost the cost of the pool! (pool
$499, sand filter option $399)...
Janet in Niagara Falls, CAN