Old 27-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Using Rain Water in the Garden

I am planning on building, and have SO approval to build a rain collection
system to harness the roof of my shed and the roof of the house. My plans
are currently not very fully formed, so I was looking for opinions from
anyone that has done this.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 27-04-2004, 04:04 PM

birds sit on roofs and crap. rain water will bring all the parasites in the crap
down into the pond. use the rain water to water plants instead .. especially orchids
that like a very dilute fertilizer. Ingrid

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:
I am planning on building, and have SO approval to build a rain collection
system to harness the roof of my shed and the roof of the house. My plans
are currently not very fully formed, so I was looking for opinions from
anyone that has done this.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 27-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Pond Diver

Funny... where I live, they sit on the power lines over my car and crap.
I'm glad elephants don't fly.

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:
I am planning on building, and have SO approval to build a rain

collection
system to harness the roof of my shed and the roof of the house. My plans
are currently not very fully formed, so I was looking for opinions from
anyone that has done this.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 27-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
birds sit on roofs and crap. rain water will bring all the parasites in

the crap
down into the pond. use the rain water to water plants instead ..

especially orchids
that like a very dilute fertilizer. Ingrid

snip

My first phase plan is to create a system to water the herb garden, and then
a second to water the vegetable garden. I have put together a spreadsheet to
calculate potential gathering capability, and can see this being a great
source of water. I've even found some pages for people that use it for their
house water. I don't want to go that far, but if these numbers are right,
it'd be a great source of water for the garden and the pond.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 27-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Cuvapu" wrote in message
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in
:

My first phase plan is to create a system to water the herb garden,
and then a second to water the vegetable garden. I have put together a
spreadsheet to calculate potential gathering capability, and can see
this being a great source of water. I've even found some pages for
people that use it for their house water. I don't want to go that far,
but if these numbers are right, it'd be a great source of water for
the garden and the pond.

There's a Yahoo group that might be helpful to you:

Thanks.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 27-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Sean Dinh

In the old days, my family used rain water for cooking an drinking. Since we
were living in a tropical area, we had frequent rain storms. We divert all the
rain water away from the holding tank during the 1st 30 mins of heavy rain. We
didn't want to drink craps.

Here in SoCal, with the tar emulsion roof on our house, it's not safe to use
rain water for anything.

Old 27-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Benign Vanilla

"grubber" wrote in message
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

My first phase plan is to create a system to water the herb garden, and

then
a second to water the vegetable garden. I have put together a

spreadsheet
calculate potential gathering capability, and can see this being a great
source of water. I've even found some pages for people that use it for

their
house water. I don't want to go that far, but if these numbers are

right,
it'd be a great source of water for the garden and the pond.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

There's a good bit of rainwater collection in this area (central TX). My
parents had a whole house system put in when they built out in the

country.
Their cistern is 20-30 ft across! In areas with regular rainfall, smaller
cisterns can be used because they are frequently refilled.

Basically, between your gutters and your main tank, you put a T into a

small
tank that fills first. That way, all the dust and bird crap gets washed

off
the roof and ends up in the first tank, then clean water flows to your

main
tank. Drain the small tank after every rain.

I think you are refering to a roof scrubber, as I have read about. As we are
not using this water for drinking water, I don't think it is worth worrying
about. I am also not convinced that it would be necessary for pond water or
garden water.
snip

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 27-04-2004, 10:02 PM
grubber

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

I think you are refering to a roof scrubber, as I have read about. As we

are
not using this water for drinking water, I don't think it is worth

worrying
about. I am also not convinced that it would be necessary for pond water

or
garden water.
snip

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

You're going to wash a fresh supply of bacteria and organic matter into a
closed tank every rain. It'll smell loverly after a few days cooking when
it warms up. Also, you won't have a good bottom drain to rinse the
accumulated gunk out.

OTOH, if you're just filling a barrel or two which will be used quickly,
don't worry about it.

Old 28-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Gail Futoran

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in
message ...
I am planning on building, and have SO approval to build a

rain collection
system to harness the roof of my shed and the roof of the

house. My plans
are currently not very fully formed, so I was looking for

opinions from
anyone that has done this.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

I have been able to find some 55 gallon plastic
drums used for coca-cola syrup that clean up
nicely, for about $20 at a local feed store. If it's
storage you're looking for, you might check
for such barrels. But my system is nothing
special, just catch rain in buckets from two
downspouts and store the water in a variety of
containers, including 33 gallon trash cans (bought
new for that purpose). I use the rainwater
mostly on roses, but will top off my ponds
using captured rainwater, alternating with treated
tap water. So far I haven't killed any fish,
but maybe I've been lucky.

One possibility is that, because my collection
"system" isn't automatic, by the time I get around
to emptying buckets, the roof has been "washed"
already quite a bit. I have rainwater in sealed
containers for over a year with no smell (although
I wouldn't drink it myself!).

Re collection systems: Do a google search on
"austin rainwater collection" and you'll get a
bunch of articles, some from retailers but you
can weed those out. As someone else posted,
rainwater collection is big in southcentral TX.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 28-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

"grubber" wrote in message
snip
You're going to wash a fresh supply of bacteria and organic matter into a
closed tank every rain. It'll smell loverly after a few days cooking when
it warms up. Also, you won't have a good bottom drain to rinse the
accumulated gunk out.

OTOH, if you're just filling a barrel or two which will be used quickly,
don't worry about it.

Basically my idea is this. My house is a big beige rectangle, or BBR for
short. The BBR has a simple two rectangle roof, STRR. I also have a deck out
back with completely unuseable space underneath, CUSU. So my thinking is,
take the water that runs off the STRR on the BBR, and channel it to barrels
stored in the CUSU, then use this water to irrigate my gardens when needed,
IMGWN.

I don't want to install a system for drinking water, as we don't get enough
rain, but I figured I could use this runoff in a better way.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 01-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Cuvapu

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in
:

My first phase plan is to create a system to water the herb garden,
and then a second to water the vegetable garden. I have put together a
spreadsheet to calculate potential gathering capability, and can see
this being a great source of water. I've even found some pages for
people that use it for their house water. I don't want to go that far,
but if these numbers are right, it'd be a great source of water for
the garden and the pond.

There's a Yahoo group that might be helpful to you:

Hope this helps,

Cuv