Old 28-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Remydog

Default Photographing koi in the pond

Whenever I have taken out the camera, all I get is a blur of color. What are
all of you doing to get such great shots? Put another way, how did you train
your fish to stay still long enough to take their picture?

Guessing that a flash and polarizer are the keys to all of this, but what
settings are generally being used?

Thanks in advance.

Remydog

Old 28-04-2004, 03:05 AM
RichToyBox

I haven't used any special equipment. Just say Cheese. Not really, just
wait for the right time and shoot. I get a few blurry pictures, usually of
the one that I want a picture of, but the rest of the fish are relaxed
enough to get good pictures of them.
--
RichToyBox

Old 28-04-2004, 03:07 AM
Heather

Hi:

What kind of camera are you using? If a point and shoot type without
control of shutter speed it may be more difficult. Most point and shoots
will sync to a shutter speed of about 125 when using the flash. Try that.

If using a 35mm with Aperture or Shutter priority settings choose the
fastest shutter speed you can and a more open Aperture (small f numbers mean
bigger aperture or hole that the light goes through). On a sunny day you
might be able to use a shutter speed of 1000 and an aperture of F3.8. You
will have to focus more carefully with the open aperture as your depth of
field will be shorter.

Hope this helps,
Heather

Old 28-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Pond Newbie

I get my best pics in the evening, because the little piggies know it is time for FOOD! No
matter how shy and skittish they are, they are very outgoing if they think there is food
involved. They (on workdays) get a 4AM feeding, and the beam of the flashlight brings them
out like a dinner bell! LOL.

All I do is point and snap while they circle like sharks, waiting for the food to hit the
water so they can gobble it up. The flash seems to penetrate the water, making them light
up and showing off their pretty colors.

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

Old 28-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Hank

Small amounts of food at the same location can build trust. Some of my
fish will take your picture for an orange slice. ;-}

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1