Old 29-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Remydog

Default Snails -- good or bad in a koi pond?

There seems to be conflicting information. Many of you are writing of your
snails' exploits, while others (dr-solo) say that they are detrimental to a
koi pond. Which is it?

Remydog

Old 29-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Remydog" wrote in message
There seems to be conflicting information. Many of you are writing of your
snails' exploits, while others (dr-solo) say that they are detrimental to

koi pond. Which is it?

I have plant of snails in my pond, and to date, I have not seen any damage
from them. I think the key here is the type of snails. Not all snails are
voracious killers. And there ends my snail knowledge.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 29-04-2004, 04:37 PM

detrimental to the koi. they are the definitive intermediate host for lots of
diseases. 2 years ago the Pond Lady began complaining of severe itching of arms and
legs after being out in her propagation ponds. it was "swimmers itch" caused by
schistosomiasis ... carried by snails. She nuked the snails, no more swimmers itch.
not to mention her plants werent being chewed up.
not to mention a single big dead snail cant foul the water and create such a stink
it is unbelievable. Ingrid

"Remydog" wrote:

There seems to be conflicting information. Many of you are writing of your
snails' exploits, while others (dr-solo) say that they are detrimental to a
koi pond. Which is it?

Remydog

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 29-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
detrimental to the koi. they are the definitive intermediate host for

lots of
diseases. 2 years ago the Pond Lady began complaining of severe itching

of arms and
legs after being out in her propagation ponds. it was "swimmers itch"

caused by
schistosomiasis ... carried by snails. She nuked the snails, no more

swimmers itch.
not to mention her plants werent being chewed up.
not to mention a single big dead snail cant foul the water and create

such a stink
it is unbelievable.

snip

From my personal experience...I dug out two golfball sized snails from my
pond mulm this year. No stink, nothing. Just empty shells that I had wrestle
from the dogs. I also have numerous other snails, (I have not checked the
variety) in the pond without problems. No itching, no plant destruction, no
harm to the fish.

It is also only fair for me to mention that my intention is a very natural
pond. I embrace my algae, I smack my boys upside the head when the clean the
green sweater goo from the liner, and I am happy with my first seasonal
algae bloom. When a 2 foot snake gobbled a frog last week, I grabbed my
camera not my shotgun.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 29-04-2004, 08:35 PM

yes, I have heard this so many times on so many issues. Ingrid

From my personal experience... no harm to the fish.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 29-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
yes, I have heard this so many times on so many issues. Ingrid

From my personal experience... no harm to the fish.

It may be a side effect of this medium not displaying inflection well, but
them's sounds like fightin' words...Care to explain?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 30-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Barbara2245

"Remydog" wrote in message news:se5kc.14791$lz5.1289999@attbi_s53...
There seems to be conflicting information. Many of you are writing of your
snails' exploits, while others (dr-solo) say that they are detrimental to a
koi pond. Which is it?

Remydog

When I had my first pond I had snails. They reproduced really well
because the babies kept clogging up my fountain. No more snails in my
pond. Happy water gardening.
Old 30-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Edward Haworth

Schisto is only going to be a problem in certain cliamtes and with
certian species of snail. Not something to worry about in the Uk for
eg. Also how do you stop snails getting into a pond? Any half way
sizeable pond will pick up the odd snail egg from water bird feet?

"Remydog" wrote:

There seems to be conflicting information. Many of you are writing of your
snails' exploits, while others (dr-solo) say that they are detrimental to a
koi pond. Which is it?

Remydog

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 30-04-2004, 01:08 AM
RichToyBox

I have bought snails for my pond to find empty shells the next day. I have
small snails everywhere in the VF, the bead filter, the skimmer, the vortex,
but none in the pond. Koi love snails with or without garlic sauce.
--
RichToyBox

Old 30-04-2004, 04:04 PM

in Wisconsin we have considerably colder weather than you do. the snails are also
hardy to this area. all you need is importing one water lily with the wrong snail
and you too can have swimmers itch.
well I keep the birds out of my pond. but for example right now some small snails
found their way in and are constantly clogging the little pump I use for my UV light.
I do want to kill them off.
the point is I didnt go out looking for snails to put in there. Ingrid

Edward Haworth wrote:
Schisto is only going to be a problem in certain cliamtes and with
certian species of snail. Not something to worry about in the Uk for
eg. Also how do you stop snails getting into a pond? Any half way
sizeable pond will pick up the odd snail egg from water bird feet?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List