Old 03-05-2004, 09:02 AM
JJ

Default (&*#&($$# Blue Iris my eye

Last Spring I picked up what I thought were Blue Iris from Home Depot.
I mean if the box says Blue Iris is it unreasonable of me to expect
the color blue? The box was stapled to the poly bag holding the
pot, plant and soil.

Well I guess these are those yellow invisible blue iris.

I have loads of yellow yellow iris and I was hoping that with some
blue iris I could make some green iris. (joking)

Oh well at least they were half price.

Jay
Old 03-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Happy'Cam'per

We can see that you've been following BV's methods extensively
Too many brewskies.....
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 03-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

"JJ" wrote in message
Last Spring I picked up what I thought were Blue Iris from Home Depot.
I mean if the box says Blue Iris is it unreasonable of me to expect
the color blue? The box was stapled to the poly bag holding the
pot, plant and soil.

Well I guess these are those yellow invisible blue iris.

I have loads of yellow yellow iris and I was hoping that with some
blue iris I could make some green iris. (joking)

Oh well at least they were half price.

Jay...

I bought yellow and blue last year, although I have not seem them bloom.
After they do, I hope to keep track of which is which, since they need to be
divided. I'd be willing to trade you some blue for some yellow when the time
comes, if you like.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 03-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Ka30P

I have some invisible flag in the frog bog.
Three years of lovely invisible blooms!

jan and I once visited a pond which had a huge stand of iris, all one color
except for one brave bloom of a different color. We commented on the fact and
the pond owner said when his daughter was married the previous year the iris
had all bloomed so he bought silk iris and put them in the greenery for the
wedding. The one odd colored bloom was a left over from the
subterfuge.

kathy :-)
Old 10-05-2004, 02:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Sounds like the hosta I got from Wally World this spring. Suppose to be
Patriot, green with white trim. This was in a bag clearly marked with a
picture from whomever sold them to WW. What came up? Solid green ones. I
got what I wanted later, already growing from at the grocery store, no
less. hrrumpt! ~ jan

Old 10-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Sue Walsh

(JJ) wrote in message ...
Last Spring I picked up what I thought were Blue Iris from Home Depot.
I mean if the box says Blue Iris is it unreasonable of me to expect
the color blue? The box was stapled to the poly bag holding the
pot, plant and soil.

Well I guess these are those yellow invisible blue iris.

I have loads of yellow yellow iris and I was hoping that with some
blue iris I could make some green iris. (joking)

Oh well at least they were half price.

Jay

Color Rules of gardening (after many years of life education):

Color Rule #1: if you want a plant of a certain color the only way to
be sure is to see that plant in BLOOM and buy the one with the open
flower.

Color Rule #2: Never assume that the plant right next to it without
the flower opened is the same, people move plants around (and all the
plants in the nursery have a party every night after the nursery
closes and forget where to go back to in the morning), See rule #1.

Color Rule #3: Never believe a tag about flower color, people move
tags around, (and the plants at the above party trade business cards
so they can find their friends for the next party tommorow night), see
rule #1.

Color Rule #4: plants in boxes can be of any color, no matter what the
box says, packers make mistakes (actually at the above party 'musical
boxes' is a favorite game, which is a nursery version of musical
chairs, and a few missed the return to origial box call at the end of
the game), see rule #1.

Color Rule #5: If someone tells you 'this plant is the color you
want', but it is not in flower now, don't buy it, people have
different names for the same colors and perceive colors
differently,(my husband has no idea what 'aqua' relly is, he thinks
it's blue I know it's bluish-green, what do you thinkit is), see rule
#1.

Sue W
Old 10-05-2004, 04:11 PM

and then there was this outrageous coral red peony I bought from cheap garden center
in small pot with single flower. planted it and wonder of wonders it bloomed the
next year..... PINK. I HATE PINK... however, this pink was Monet pink so I didnt rip
it out. http://puregold.aquaria.net/landscape/bkyd/mvc-024f.jpg
I think the composition of the soil affects flower color as well. Ingrid

(Sue Walsh) wrote:
Color Rule #1: if you want a plant of a certain color the only way to
be sure is to see that plant in BLOOM and buy the one with the open
flower.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Happy'Cam'per

wrote in message
and then there was this outrageous coral red peony I bought from cheap

garden center
in small pot with single flower. planted it and wonder of wonders it

bloomed the
next year..... PINK. I HATE PINK... however, this pink was Monet pink so

I didnt rip
it out. http://puregold.aquaria.net/landscape/bkyd/mvc-024f.jpg
I think the composition of the soil affects flower color as well. Ingrid

Yes, yes it does ...I know for sure that playing with NO3 and K ratios
brings out different colours in the leaves. Potassium (K) will bring out
nice reds in red foliage plants while Nitrates will bring out the greens.
Obvious really but I'm sure this would affect flower colour aswell. I'll get
back to you on that! Plants interest me immensely!
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 10-05-2004, 09:04 PM
jammer

SPEAKING of red peonys...

I bought one to mark a pet's grave and it hasn't died, but it hasn't
grown one inch. Last night i noticed the very tips of the leaves are
trying to yellow. I fertilized and watered it and am hoping for a big
pretty bush!

(sorry you got pink)

(Sue Walsh) wrote:
Color Rule #1: if you want a plant of a certain color the only way

be sure is to see that plant in BLOOM and buy the one with the open
flower.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com