Old 05-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Hank

Default Algae choking WH

HELP! All my WH have been choked to death by algae collecting on the
roots. The lettuce is still alive but not looking too good. The only
part of the VF not affected is the watercress. I was washing the roots
every day(what a pain) but forgot for three days.= rotten WH straight
to compost.
My water is clear .... some algae on sides ..... lots on
roots?????????
What can I do other than wash the roots every day? This is a new one
on me.

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Old 06-05-2004, 01:08 AM
RED1102

I use AlgaeFix in my pond to help to
help control the string algae. It works great, I've only done one treatment
this
spring and most of it is gone.
Carole
Zone 6
Old 06-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Sean Dinh

I had that problem before. I trimmed all the roots. It took a while for
them to recover. I won't do that again.

You could try dipping the roots in a diluted bleach solution. That should
kill the algae. After relocating the WH, I would use a stick to poke and
stir the roots. That would remove some trapped air from the roots. After a
few times, the roots would stay down like before.

Old 06-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Hank" wrote in message
HELP! All my WH have been choked to death by algae collecting on the
roots. The lettuce is still alive but not looking too good. The only
part of the VF not affected is the watercress. I was washing the roots
every day(what a pain) but forgot for three days.= rotten WH straight
to compost.
My water is clear .... some algae on sides ..... lots on
roots?????????
What can I do other than wash the roots every day? This is a new one
on me.

Hmm...I have not seen this before. What is your flow rate? Maybe the water
is sitting too long?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Hank

It's too late for the WH. Shaking the roots of the water lettuce seems
to dislodge the algae. I really try to avoid adding chemicals to the
pond.
BV, The flow rate is fast enough that I need a screen to keep the
plants from taking a ride down the waterfall.
I just got about 50 tiny tadpoles (or toadpoles) and put them in
the VF. The little buggers seem to be stirring up the roots quite a
bit. Maybe I'll be able to save the lettuce but be over-run with frogs
or toads. With all them wigglers in there it looks like a slide from a
sex-ed class.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Old 07-05-2004, 12:06 PM
nswong

Hi Hank,

It's too late for the WH. Shaking the roots of the water lettuce

seems
to dislodge the algae. I really try to avoid adding chemicals to the
pond.

Algae boom most of the time are due to phosphorus. Do you remove old
plant from your pond? This will give more space for new plant to grow
and remove phosphorus from water.

Regards,
Wong

Old 10-05-2004, 02:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Another is high pH. At least that is what happens to me in the lilypond,
when I note the WH not doing well and the SA doing great, my pH is always
way up. I acidified it yesterday, and things are already looking better.
~ jan