Old 06-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Ann in Houston

Default Early Mother's Day

DH called Tuesday and told me he had gone to a wg nursery near his
store, and found a plant he wanted to get me for Mother's Day. He said he
couldn't remember the name of the water lily they had, but it was a special
shipment that was almost gone. He was so impressed by this lily. He said "I
didn't see a bloom, but the guy said it starts out as a pale green.." "I
said oh, yeah - Green Smoke" sure enough that's what it was. He recognized
the name right away. Well, I had never seen a bloom, but I never had thought
a green water lily sounded very appealing. Anyway, I didn't protest, because
he was so excited about it, and proud to have found it. So, I looked it up
yesterday morning, and boy am I glad I kept my mouth shut. It's gorgeous. We
went at lunch time and got it. I hope I'll be posting lots of pics. I think
it's misnamed. They should have called it Aqua Mist.
As I told Carol, in her lily bloom post, it should open up right about
Sunday. I can't wait to get my new pond installed so it will have a real
home. It's in a tub thingy, now.
Here's a link to a picture of it.
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/50713/index.html
There are pictures of it in all of its stages. The guy also said it's
viviparous. I've never had one of those before. This one should be an
adventure.
Happy Mother's Day (early)

Hope to see lots of reports on this thread of plants, fish, boulders,
etc for Mother's Day.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Nedra

Congrats, Ann! I have heard of Green Smoke but never saw
pics this pretty. Vivips have tiny plants that grow from the
center of the mother plant. You should be able to plant those
daughters when they grow to be larger.

Nedra

. com...

Old 07-05-2004, 09:05 PM

[...]