Old 23-03-2004, 04:46 PM
klara King

Default jasmine for mother's day - help!!!

My three lovely daughters have given me a beautiful, healthy flowering
jasmine for Mother's Day. But we have no conservatory, or even a
greenhouse ((

The consensus of opinion on URG a few years back seemed to be that
jasmines need lots of light and hate central heating. I would not have
bought one myself, but I would so hate to disappoint the girls and have
it expire! Might it survive until, say, May, by which time it ought to
be able to go outside?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 23-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Victoria Clare

klara King wrote in
:

My three lovely daughters have given me a beautiful, healthy flowering
jasmine for Mother's Day. But we have no conservatory, or even a
greenhouse ((

The consensus of opinion on URG a few years back seemed to be that
jasmines need lots of light and hate central heating. I would not have
bought one myself, but I would so hate to disappoint the girls and have
it expire! Might it survive until, say, May, by which time it ought to
be able to go outside?

Do you have a south-facing sheltered wall? If so, it should survive
outside there if planted out later this year unless it gets really
specially cold. I took one off the wall of this house when we moved it: it
was a massive thing and really took some moving!

In the meanwhile, do you have a porch window sill or a window that doesn't
have a radiator right underneath it? I think it should do fine there for a
few months.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 23-03-2004, 04:46 PM
klara King

Victoria Clare writes
Do you have a south-facing sheltered wall? If so, it should survive outside
there if planted out later this year unless it gets really specially cold. I
took one off the wall of this house when we moved it: it was a massive
thing and really took some moving!

Thanks, Victoria. We do have what I thought was a warm south-facing
wall, but for about the last five or six years the wisteria that grows
there has frozen in the bud - a combination of earlier buds and later
frosts. Could it go there in a large pot, though, which I might be able
to cover?

In the meanwhile, do you have a porch window sill or a window that
doesn't have a radiator right underneath it? I think it should do fine there
for a few months.

Skirting board radiators all around, but the heat is more diffused. The
choice is south- or north-facing (or west in the kitchen), but googling
disagrees on whether they like direct sun.

I wonder how house plants know that it's central heating and not a hot
country. Is it the dryness? Would lots of misting help?

Thanks for your help -
Klara

--
Communication Crafts
93 Copthorne Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex RH19 2PB, U.K.

Old 23-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Victoria Clare

klara King wrote in
:

In the meanwhile, do you have a porch window sill or a window that
doesn't have a radiator right underneath it? I think it should do
fine there for a few months.

Skirting board radiators all around, but the heat is more diffused.
The choice is south- or north-facing (or west in the kitchen), but
googling disagrees on whether they like direct sun.

Well, the one I had was on the sunniest wall I own, so I think they can
handle it. It's been said here that a lot of things that don't like summer
sun further south cope with what we get of it perfectly well.

I'm not sure how they compare with wisteria in terms of hardiness - anyone
else? I'd guess less hardy than wisteria, but I don't know.

I wonder how house plants know that it's central heating and not a hot
country. Is it the dryness? Would lots of misting help?

You are out of my depth now, but I'm guessing it's the dryness,
particularly at the roots - it's so easy for a pot near a radiator to dry
out so quickly. Lots of water.

Victoria

Old 23-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Martin

Victoria Clare wrote:
klara King wrote in
:

My three lovely daughters have given me a beautiful, healthy
flowering jasmine for Mother's Day. But we have no conservatory, or
even a greenhouse ((

The consensus of opinion on URG a few years back seemed to be that
jasmines need lots of light and hate central heating. I would not
have bought one myself, but I would so hate to disappoint the girls
and have it expire! Might it survive until, say, May, by which time
it ought to be able to go outside?

Do you have a south-facing sheltered wall? If so, it should survive
outside there if planted out later this year unless it gets really
specially cold. I took one off the wall of this house when we moved
it: it was a massive thing and really took some moving!

Victoria,

This is a serious question, not a "Dig." I noticed that the previous owners
of our current house had removed a couple of plants before heading off.
Something we would never have dreamed of doing. Is this common practise in
England?

Regards

Martin

---

Old 23-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Robert

: Victoria Clare wrote:
::: it ought to be able to go outside?
::
:: Do you have a south-facing sheltered wall? If so, it should survive
:: outside there if planted out later this year unless it gets really
:: specially cold. I took one off the wall of this house when we moved
:: it: it was a massive thing and really took some moving!
:
: Victoria,
:
: This is a serious question, not a "Dig." I noticed that the previous
: owners of our current house had removed a couple of plants before
: heading off. Something we would never have dreamed of doing. Is this
: common practise in England?
:
: Regards
:
: Martin

The way I understand it is you must put it down in writing so that the
buyers understand you are taking it when they pay the agreed price

Old 24-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Victoria Clare

"Martin" wrote in
:

This is a serious question, not a "Dig." I noticed that the previous
owners of our current house had removed a couple of plants before
heading off. Something we would never have dreamed of doing. Is this
common practise in England?

That question's down to my poor typing - sorry. We moved INTO this house,
where there was already a big jasmine (when we moved in)

Many creepy things lived in the big jasmine and walked up the walls to the
bathroom window, where they peered in at my husband, who is an
arachnaphobe. The jasmine had to go and has been replaced by a nice wall-
trained fig, which offers much less shelter to crawlies.

We didn't take anything OUT of the beds in the house we left, though I did
take my potted collection of course.

I believe we were told by the estate agent that anything planted in the
ground counted as part of the house for sale unless we specifically stated
otherwise. I don't think the owner of this house knew that though, because
she certainly took all sorts of things, including bulbs and even paving
slabs! (very ugly ones, so I didn't mind at all).

In fact the issue didn't really come up for us, as we were moving to a very
different soil a long way away, via rented accommodation, so moving plants
just wouldn't have been very practical, even if legal.

Victoria

Old 24-03-2004, 04:53 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Martin" wrote in message
snip
This is a serious question, not a "Dig." I noticed that the previous

owners
of our current house had removed a couple of plants before heading off.
Something we would never have dreamed of doing. Is this common practise in
England?

Dedicated (and casual) gardeners like to take stuff with them.
We brought a few things to Suffolk from Derbyshire - couple of grape vines,
some rhubarb, a fuscia which was a cutting from another place, some
Geraniums which were originally from my Mum's garden.
Nothing major, just plants with a sentimental attachment.
Listed in the details accompanying the sale, ISTR.

I suspect that some unscrupulous people buy in shrubs to dress the garden
(you see the makeover programmes spending hundreds if not thousands of
pounds on mature plants) then take them with them when they move.

IANAL but AFAIK you should list them, but I don't know how practical it is
to sue the vendor for £500 worth of missing shrubbery.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 24-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Martin

Victoria Clare wrote:
"Martin" wrote in
:

This is a serious question, not a "Dig." I noticed that the previous
owners of our current house had removed a couple of plants before
heading off. Something we would never have dreamed of doing. Is this
common practise in England?

That question's down to my poor typing - sorry. We moved INTO this
house, where there was already a big jasmine (when we moved in)

Many creepy things lived in the big jasmine and walked up the walls
to the bathroom window, where they peered in at my husband, who is an
arachnaphobe.

Lol - Me too! I'm not sure my wife would have been quite as accommodating as
you!

Regards

Martin

---

Happy Mother's Day Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 3 10-05-2004 10:09 AM
jasmine for mother's day - help!!! klara King United Kingdom 1 23-03-2004 04:46 PM
jasmine for mother's day - help!!! klara King United Kingdom 1 23-03-2004 03:59 PM
A very special Mother's Day offering from Greenwood Nursery Earl Buchan Gardening 0 01-05-2003 07:20 PM
Create a Masterpiece for Mother's Day.....It's easy Lebsique Texas 1 01-05-2003 04:20 PM