Old 08-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Szpond

Default PH plus

Did I read somewhere that you can add Baking Soda in increase your PH level?
How much per gallon? Thanks, Cathy
Old 08-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Jim Humphries

Baking soda is quite safe since it is a "buffer" at about pH 8.2. That is
quite safe. I add a small box whenever the pH gets down to 7 or so in my
roughly 2000 gal setup.
--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC

Old 08-05-2004, 10:06 PM

it is only temporary. you need to add dolomitic limestone to keep the pH up. this
is usually available at garden centers in areas with low pH water. always test the
limestone in a gallon of water to make sure it isnt "quicklime" and drives the pH up
over 8.4. Ingrid

(Szpond) wrote:
Did I read somewhere that you can add Baking Soda in increase your PH level?
How much per gallon? Thanks, Cathy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:05 AM
RichToyBox

Get a KH Alkalinity Hardness test kit. If the pH is low, the KH will be
low, and the bacteria will not function as well as with a higher KH. Add
about a half a pound of baking soda per 1000 gallons every few days until
the KH is over 100 ppm, which is about 6 degrees hardness. If the KH is
very low, then you will see a fairly rapid change in pH with small additions
of baking soda, and you do not want to stress the fish with major changes.
Once the pH stabilizes around 8.4 then you can make larger additions to get
the KH up.
--
RichToyBox