Old 08-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Cheryl

Default sick fish? (long-sorry)

Hi

Thanks for all your help so far in helping me learn more about my inherited
pond. Im slowly getting the hang of it!

Firstly, One of the comets we have I think is ill, when we first moved into
our new pond we thought he has dead. It was only when we went to remove it
that it darted off scaring is half to death!
The problem is so, All he ever does is just sit on the shallow ledge by a
plant. He can swim as we saw when we tryed to remove him!
On the odd occasion that he does move he swims once around the pond then
jump up abit then straight back to his place.

Does this seem odd to you?

Secondly, some of my larger Koi's seem to be doing some kind of somersaults.
They seem to flick over showing thier bellies.
I read that this might be because of parasites so I added a course of
treatment but they are still doing it. Any ideas?

Thirdly, My favourite Koi "Jaws" seems to have black furry spot on one of
his gills. what could this be? some kind of fungus maybe?

If you could give me any advice or ideas I would be Extremerly greatful

Thanks

Cheryl

Old 08-05-2004, 07:06 PM
joe

I don't know what that would be, but until someone more knowledgeable chimes
in, try:

http://www.koivet.com

What are your water parameters? Also, what treatment did you give?

Joe

Old 08-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Mike Patterson

On Sat, 8 May 2004 17:48:50 +0100, "Cheryl"
wrote:

[...]

In regards to the lethargic one, do you have a source of oxygenation
for your water? A waterfall, spout, spitter, something like that?

A furry gill is out of my league, hopefully someone else can make
suggestions.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:05 AM
RichToyBox

The flashing koi, scraping themselves on the liner or other surfaces, are
showing signs that something is irritating them, and it most likely a
parasite. Check with http://www.akca.org/ and find a local koi club in your
area. Most of the clubs have either a Koi Health Advisor, or a health hot
line that is staffed by knowledgable koi keepers that are willing and able
to do microscopic evaluation of the fish to determine the type of parasite.
Once you know the type of parasite, then it is fairly simple to find an
effective treatment, which may or may not be plain salt. But without the
microscope, people are guessing and you can spend a lot of money, and do a
lot of harm to the fish with unneccesary treatments.
--
RichToyBox

Old 10-05-2004, 03:06 PM

flicking is known as flashing and is due to parasites. clean out the pond.
trichodina flourishes in water without supplemental aeration. trichodina attacks the
gills of the fish. treat with PP or formalin.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disease/disease.htm
furry spots are secondary fungal infection.
how much salt you got in your pond?
0.9lbs per 100 gallons of water.
Ingrid

"Cheryl" wrote:
Secondly, some of my larger Koi's seem to be doing some kind of somersaults.
They seem to flick over showing thier bellies.
Thirdly, My favourite Koi "Jaws" seems to have black furry spot on one of
his gills. what could this be? some kind of fungus maybe?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.