Old 13-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Bill

Default drats - fish problem

About a month ago I salted my pond to .3%. My in laws were coming so I did
not let the 'treatment' stay a full 2 weeks, as the flashing symptoms had
stopped at .1% and I wanted to show off my pond with all plants back in it.
I treated the kiddie pool plants the day before I put them back in the pond
with formalin (Pond Care) which may not have been long enough as well. I
rushed the whole thing. Now my fish are not flashing but very recently I
have noticed several have a 'sore' about the size of your fingertip. I cant
see either clearly but it appears the affected area is possibly a little
redder hue than the unaffected areas, as if the scales are gone, and ringed
in white. I think the white is edges ofscales, but cant be sure its not
some sort of growth. I am afraid this is the beginning of ulcers. Water is
good, no new fish, only new plant are those returned from the kiddie pool,
possibly not effectively disinfected.
1) Should I re salt (properly) and 2)is there something else I should add
during or after for the 'sores', like Melafix. or 3)instead of salt. 4)Does
any of this sound consistent that I have what seems to be new symptoms
scarcely 3 weeks after my previous treatment, albeit incompletely.

Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 14-05-2004, 04:09 PM

all sores are bacterial probably aeromonas or columnaris. PP the pond and feed
antibiotic food. get the salt up to 0.1% . Ingrid

"Bill" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 14-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Newbie Bill

Thanks for your advice. What are the pros and cons of PP over Formalin. I
still have not located PP and I can buy enough Formalin for one complete
round of treatments for about $9.
Bill

"Bill" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 15-05-2004, 03:05 AM
RichToyBox

I prefer PP to formalin because I can see what is going on, and if I
overdose, a little peroxide or dechlor will render it harmless. PP will
turn brown when it is spent, and you need it to stay pink or purple for
about 8 hours, which will probably take 3 or 4 treatments. Formalin is an
oxidizer also, and as such is consumed by the organics in the pond, but it
doesn't have a color to know how well or how long the treatment was.
Formalin is very dose sensitive and if the fish are showing signs of
overdose, then the only thing you can do is dilute by water change or
addition, and this can take too long.
--
RichToyBox

"Bill" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 15-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Newbie Bill

Rich - Thanks once again for your informed, clear and concise answer. I
have read that formalin will most likely knock out my biofilter. Is this
also the case with PP. If so what do you do about ammonia levels untill the
biofilter is restarted, other than I presume feed the fish little or
nothing.
Bill

"Bill" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 16-05-2004, 03:05 AM
RichToyBox

If you can, bypass the filter during treatment. Add additional aeration. I
take the piping loose from the one of my upflow gravel filters and turn it
into a high spitting fountain. As soon as the color has changed to brown,
it has been neutralized, and the filter can be put back on line. It will
not have been off long enough for the filter to die.
--
RichToyBox
om...

"Bill" wrote:

[...]