Old 14-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Ann in Houston

Default snake id - clear pic

Hi, I have to confess that I am not faithful to rec.ponds. I also read
gardenweb, but those who saw my post on the plant swap thread already know
this. Anyway, one of the readers there took these pics of two snakes in her
filter. She hasn't seen them since the day she snapped the pics, but is
still curious. I told her I would ask you guys and she liked the idea. She
originally posted this on the gallery page of the ponds forum. Here are
the links.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...9122117793.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~c.monetta/sn1.jpg

Unusual pictures, I think you'll agree. Also kudos to her brave DH for
lifting the filter lid after she dropped it, so she could give this pair
their fifteen minutes of fame. See what y'all think.

Old 14-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Ka30P

Good Lord!!!!!!

I'll answer your question when I stop running.

Dang.

Looks like a garter snake.
Stripes down the side of the body, slender head
but if it was in MY pond I'd run to B&N (I'd probably reach it in 2 minutes,
flat out) and buy a book about snakes in my state or region. Then I'd ID the
the thing for sure. I would not rely on internet 'experts' like me ;-)
Then I'd call in the air force and nuke the pond...
Okay, not really but that first picture almost did me in...!!!!!!

kathy :-)
Old 14-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Ann in Houston

I TOLD you it was a clear pic! Ha Ha! When I first saw the first one, he
blended in somehow with the rest of the filter, and then when I realized I
was looking right at him, it really scared me too. And I'm across the
country - and the snake is long gone! She says she strongly suspects
snake-canoodling in the filter. I told her it was good she intervened
before egg laying time. When this thread turns up on Google, I'll send her
the link.

Old 14-05-2004, 10:03 PM
tim chandler

Looks a lot like the red-bellied water snake, check out this pic of one:
http://www.kostich.com/red-bellied%20water%20snake.jpg
....but if your friend's in Houston, that may be a bit outside or on the edge
of its range.

Tim C.

. com...

Old 14-05-2004, 10:04 PM
tim chandler

....and another better pic of the red-bellied water snake:
http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/Redbelly%2...%20Snake%20%20(Nerodia%20erythrogaster%20erythrogaster)002.jpg

Tim C.