Old 20-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Default snails

Kay,

I am a breeder and I have snails in my ponds and my
aquariums.

She will never respond to me, because I prove her wrong
off and on through the years and this has been going on
in exchanges for years, so I have been on her kill list
for years, but go ahead and ask which breeders and
which writers of books. I have almost every book every
written about Goldfish and snails are always listed as
companions to Goldfish.

Ingrid says stuff and never backs it up, but beings she
says it it must be true, or so she believes.

Tom L.L.

Kay wrote:

wrote:

Most people have no idea why their fish die. And frankly, it isnt my
opinion that
snails are not a good "companion" animal for pond fish. It is the
opinion of the
experts that breed fish, the experts that write the text books. I did
start out my
graduate studies in parasitology, so I have enough information to be
very impressed
with how nasty parasites are that spread thru intermediate hosts.
consider that the dermal variety of schistosomiasis AKA swimmers itch
is spread by
snails... and the Pond Lady was getting horrendous itching and sores
on arms and legs
from her ponds. as for people buying snails to put in their pond...
whatever winds your motor
applies.
Ingrid

Kay wrote:

I wanted to see how many people had illiness to their fish from
snails because I disagree with Ingrid on the instances. I know there
a black spot disease that come from infected snails, but I think that
its not common at all, if not rare, with snails that hitch a ride on
a plant bought from a petstore. Since lots of people if not all have
goldfish, koi I wanted to see if anyone had fish sick from snails and
if so what did they do and what illiness. Basically like a poll of
fish keepers with pond and aquariums.Kay

I think lots of animals can carry just about anything that a snail can.
And being a breeder for money it would make sense to keep to a single
specie enviorment, but I refuse to believe a snail on the average can
kill a fish by hitching a ride on a plant from a LFS.

Kay

Old 20-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Kay

Tom,

She says she has no time to do the compling of all the sources. I would
be interested in a website that has actual discredit the artilces that
have no basis. Like the tea tree oil statement.

Kay

Old 20-05-2004, 07:10 PM
BenignVanilla

"Kay" wrote in message
Tom,

She says she has no time to do the compling of all the sources. I would
be interested in a website that has actual discredit the artilces that
have no basis. Like the tea tree oil statement.

snip

Ooh, ooh. What's the tea tree oil statement? I am a big TTO fan.

BV.

Old 21-05-2004, 04:12 PM

http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/care/...L,%20Melaleuca
it is an old treatment that fell out of usage until a fish product company brought it
back and started selling it again. It is also being touted by homeopathic concerns
for various treatments.
Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" wrote:
Ooh, ooh. What's the tea tree oil statement? I am a big TTO fan.

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 21-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Kay

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Kay" wrote in message

Tom,

She says she has no time to do the compling of all the sources. I would
be interested in a website that has actual discredit the artilces that
have no basis. Like the tea tree oil statement.

snip

Ooh, ooh. What's the tea tree oil statement? I am a big TTO fan.

BV.

Here is the link. I think its totally false. I am a fan of melafix.

Old 21-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Cichlidiot

Kay wrote:
Here is the link. I think its totally false. I am a fan of melafix.

http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/care/...L,%20Melaleuca

I, on the other hand, am not a big fan of Melafix. For one, I'm horridly
allergic to it. For another, it appeared to aggrevate a case of nitrite
poisoning that was occuring simulataneously with a case of fin rot on some
of my newly acquired fish.

It also seems a little too snail-oil like for my likings. I've seen no
real scientific studies to back up the plethora of disorders it claims to
treat. The only close to scientific study I've seen came to the conclusion
that it really is only good as a prophalactic treatment with injured fish
to prevent secondary infections and promote healing.

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...article_id=104
Old 22-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Kay and BV,

If you take the time to read all that she has on her
site what she uses as examples like the people allowing
their baby to consume pure tea tree essential oil.
(Melafix is only 1% tea tree oil) Nothing in the
adverse effects area deals with fish; just Humans,
dogs, cats and birds. The one that is really
interesting is the bird lady who figured that if a
little worked a lot would work better and killed her
bird. Excuse me, who's fault was that. I.E., Golly
gee, if 250 mg of antiboitic is working pretty good
then 2000mg should work even better.

Then there people like Cichlodot that is allergic to
it, but you find that every where. Cottonpick if you
give a teaspoon of salt to a young baby it will kill
it, but do we stop using salt. Give me a break.

Just some more of Ingrid's misuse of information trying
to make a point that isn't valid just her opinion.
Personally I think that it is great stuff and if it
will work on Discus fry, it has got to be good and
mild, because there is hardly any med you can use on
Discus fry if they get sick, virtually everything kills
them. I use it when an if it is needed as a first line
of defense should something show up on my fish, and I
certainly use it on new fish when they go into
quarantine as one of the main meds that I use first on
quarantined fish for 14 days when the fish come into my
possession and go under quarantine whether they show
any bad signs or not.

It is good stuff. I use it in my soaps also.

Tom L.L.

Old 22-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Cichlidiot

Tom L. La Bron wrote:
Just some more of Ingrid's misuse of information trying
to make a point that isn't valid just her opinion.
Personally I think that it is great stuff and if it
will work on Discus fry, it has got to be good and
mild, because there is hardly any med you can use on
Discus fry if they get sick, virtually everything kills
them. I use it when an if it is needed as a first line
of defense should something show up on my fish, and I
certainly use it on new fish when they go into
quarantine as one of the main meds that I use first on
quarantined fish for 14 days when the fish come into my
possession and go under quarantine whether they show
any bad signs or not.

Perhaps I am old-fashioned, but I prefer to use medications for their
proven purposes and not as a cure-all snake oil for things which they are
not intended. Unfortunately, many aquarists seem to be treating Melafix as
some panacea for all that ails fish, which just is not true. Melafix only
claims to promote healing of skin and fins. If you read carefully, you
will note that even though they list off a variety of illnesses, they do
not claim to cure those illnesses, only promote healing of damaged tissue.
Thus, it really isn't useful as a prophalactic unless the new fish have
experienced some sort of wounds or fin damage. Adding it to a tank with
non-injured fish will probably do no harm, but isn't going to magically
help with any mystery diseases either. This tendancy of people to use
Melafix as a panacea combined with my allergies to it makes me rather
critical of its overuse.

Really, if you want the best "magical" cure for most that ails fish,
nothing beats keeping the water clean with regular maintenance. I've had
several cases of beat up fish or fin nipping since I discovered my allergy
to Melafix. Some of these were rather severe with my cichlids (the fish
hanging listless at the corner of the tank). All of them recovered when
moved to a quiet tank with good water quality. No Melafix needed really.
As for quarantine, observation is best IMO, perhaps combined with feeding
of medicated food against internal parasites since those can take a while
to develop external symptoms.

My approach to sick fish is pretty much similar to beat up fish. Move them
to a quiet, clean hospital tank. Observe for symptoms and then apply the
most appropriate medication given the symptoms. I also tend to prefer the
medicated food approach when that is indicated, particularly for suspected
internal infections. Most recently this was a fish that bloated up
overnight. The symptoms did not seem consistent with either bacterial or
parasitic infections known to cause bloat, so I just treated with epsom
salts for constipation. Sure enough, about 5 days later he passed what
appeared to be cat hair (which considering I have water loving cats is not
unlikely). Within a day, all swelling was gone and he was back to his
previously fiesty self.
Old 22-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Cichlidiot,

I can not agree with you more about using a med for
what is intended. I usually get fish from other
breeders I usually just observe them through the
quarantine to see if something is going to show up.
When I do get fish from a LFS I don't take any chances,
plus, since when I do get them from the LFS I usually
get them the day they arrive and after being intransit
in bags I get fish that may look a little tattered, so
when I bring them home I use the Melafix as part of the
quarantine procedure. During the month long quarantine
of new fish, on the 10th day of the 14 day Melafix
treatment I start feeding a medicated food for 14 days.
There is a couple of days at the beginning of
quarantine where I observe the fish before adding the
Melafix.

As far as a Panacea goes that is other peoples
problems, I read the label and use it accordingly. I
have never used it that way or suggested its use other
than what the label instructions indicate. What other
aquarist do is not the fault of the med, how they use
it outside of it indicated realm is their choice.

I have always been an advocate of clean water and
proper water maintenance. That has been my mantra for
decades; the way to healthy fish is three steps, 1.
Clean water, 2. Clear Water, and last but not least 3.
Clean water. I learned a long time ago if you take
care of your water your fish will be health. I don't
believe in dumping a lot of stuff in to the water, I
never have and never will.

Your approach to your fish seems similar to mine except
that you can't use Melafix where appropriate. Are you
affected by contact only or does the aroma cause
problems also?

Have a great day.

Tom L.L.

Old 22-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Kay

Cichlidiot wrote:
Kay wrote:

Here is the link. I think its totally false. I am a fan of melafix.

http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/care/...L,%20Melaleuca

I, on the other hand, am not a big fan of Melafix. For one, I'm horridly
allergic to it. For another, it appeared to aggrevate a case of nitrite
poisoning that was occuring simulataneously with a case of fin rot on some
of my newly acquired fish.

It also seems a little too snail-oil like for my likings. I've seen no
real scientific studies to back up the plethora of disorders it claims to
treat. The only close to scientific study I've seen came to the conclusion
that it really is only good as a prophalactic treatment with injured fish
to prevent secondary infections and promote healing.

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...article_id=104

With my fish, I have never expierenced nitrite poinoning. I do use tea
tree oil and my family for years personally. Of coarse if I was allergic
then that would be another story. We respect it and use it carefully
like medicine.

Tea tree, Myrrth, Pepermint, Lavender and Sweet Majorim have replaced,
bengay, headace meds, anti- bacterial creams anit-fungal medicines, Bone
pain drugs, and nerve pain medicines In my family. I guess I;m lucky not
to be allergic.

Kay

Old 22-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Kay

Tom,
I remember when I first found out about some of these oils. I was at a
childs b-day party with a horrible headache. I asked my sister in law
for something for it and she asked me to try lavender. I thought she was
a loon and that the lavender would make it worse. It worked for me.
After that I tried more. Came across tea tree about 10 years ago. again
I guess its different if there is an allergy.

Old 22-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Kay

Cichlidiot wrote:

Tom L. La Bron wrote:

[...]

Speaking of medicated food. I live in chicago near midway airport and so
far I have not seen this medcated food for sale in the LFS I have been
in. Is there a reason why these medicated foods are not in alot of
stores? I have checked chain and family owned shops where I live. So far
I have never needed it but, I have read alot about it and wanted to see
who had it and how much.

People have told me to buy the meds and soak fish food in it, but what
meds and how much is to general if I ever needed it.

Kay

Old 22-05-2004, 04:06 PM

Absolutely. Pristine water. I am trying to convince people that a "hospital" or
quarantine tank should be a minimum of a 40 gallon rubbermaid tub (or larger like 100
gallon stock tank for koi).
And the best "meds" for abraded skin is a bit of salt. Just like we are told to
gargle with salt water for canker sore or sore throat.

Ingrid

Cichlidiot wrote:
Perhaps I am old-fashioned, but I prefer to use medications for their
proven purposes and not as a cure-all snake oil for things which they are
not intended.

Really, if you want the best "magical" cure for most that ails fish,
nothing beats keeping the water clean with regular maintenance.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 22-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Kay,

There are always going to be people allergic to
something. I am on several soap listservs and there is
always someone who is allergic to something, but that
doesn't make it bad for the rest of us. I'm sorry, but
that it their problem to read the label and be careful.
Most 100% essential oils can be dangerous if used
improperly, Wintergreen being one of the worse of them
all, which makes using Wintergreen fragrance oil a
better choice.

I have been using Tea Tree oil for my fish long before
Melafix, so I know personally it works, but before
Melafix I never suggested any one use it, because Tea
Tree oil can be used improperly. What I find
interesting is that it is referred to as snail-oil when
there has been a lot of research done with it, just not
in the states, because of its herbal connection. We
here in the states are too hooked on scientific meds,
which for most part come from natural sources to begin
with, but that information is very seldom released.

I make an eye-pillow with a combination of herbals and
spices that works great for headaches and another one
as a sleep aid. But are all labeled, that if you have
any plant allergies you need to see the ingredient listing.

Tom L.L.

Old 23-05-2004, 07:33 AM
Cichlidiot

Kay wrote:
Tom,
I remember when I first found out about some of these oils. I was at a
childs b-day party with a horrible headache. I asked my sister in law
for something for it and she asked me to try lavender. I thought she was
a loon and that the lavender would make it worse. It worked for me.
After that I tried more. Came across tea tree about 10 years ago. again
I guess its different if there is an allergy.

Heh, I'm allergic to lavender as well, about the same symptoms as Melafix.
Reddened skin with contact, sneezing my fool head off and burning, watery
eyes like crazy. I can even tell when the LFS has used Melafix before the
smell hits me as my eyes start watering and my nose stuffs up. The
symptoms occur even when I am taking allergy medicines (which control my
mite/insect allergy, otherwise I'd be sneezing constantly). I do have
severe allergy problems though. You should see how my left arm looks right
now from Monday's recycling project... little red welts all over from the
bug exposure when I recycled 2 months worth of papers that had been
stacked in a corner. And I even took precautions to take my meds a couple
hours before and clean up right after to minimize allergen exposure, but
once I get bit, I usually get welts. At least it wasn't fleas, then I'd
have red scars for months.

Problem is that most "standard" skin tests for allergies in the USA don't
include very many ornamental plants unless they're a major wind-born
pollen producer. Also, they don't test plant oils, at least not in the
test I took. So people who might have these allergies could not just go to
a doctor for a skin test to rule them out (the blood test requires recent
exposure to the allergen to register the antibodies in the blood). I
actually registered below threshold on many of the pollen tests, but get
me around any strong perfumes, aroma therapy, essential oils, etc and I
start stuffing up within minutes. So I think a good thing to ask people
before advocating essential oil use is if they've had allergy problems
with perfumes or aroma therapies, then warn them to proceed with caution
if they have. The mints by the way are usually fine for me, it's just the
teas and lavender I've had problems with, along with rose.