Old 21-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Mark Bannister

Default Dogs vs Pond

It usually only takes one shock for them to learn. Make sure you put it
on the lowest setting. I had a friend who set it on high shock while
training a dog. Poor thing got hit and then wouldn't go outside for a week.

Steve and Lisa wrote:
I could never zap Monty.......he's just too sweet and lovable. )

Lisa
"Ka30P" wrote in message

Moon wrote How do you teach a dog not to bother a pond and the things

there

in?

An electric shock Fido Fence.

kathy :-)

Old 21-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Just Me \Koi\

First let me declare that I am a die hard dog lover! Had German
Shepherds, great dogs! But now have 2 Boxers! Best dogs ever!

Some will say that a bad dog is a reflection of an owner that is not
training the dog with love and firm discipline! Then what do I know!

I think of my dogs as my children. I wouldn't want them to go out in life
without being trained to understand consequences. In training my dogs, I
followed a dog book titled "Family dog" by Richard A. Wolters. Pretty good
result as to obedience! Maybe it may work for you.

If my dog chooses to stick it's nose in a fido fence (I don't have a fido
electric fence by the way) , then it deserves the corrective measures that
comes with that. He/She will learn fast not to go near the fence! A very
firm disappointing voice from me usually gets my dogs attention and is
enough correction, or worse absence of play and affection as a direct
consequence of unacceptable behaviour is also effective. 20 coins in an
empty can of soda is also extremely effective if you can catch the dogs in
the deed.

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 21-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Steve and Lisa

Hey Just Me.......we tried the coin thingy....but Monty found it a game (and
he's a fraidy pants) would purposely jump on the couch to hear them rattle
and run zipping around afterwards.

He does however have the typical personality of a Golden and all he needs is
a firm "NO" he freezes in place. (Hence the freeze in the pond....resulting
in not knowing how to get out......lol)

I agree if you start when they are pups (having had a Black Lab before
Monty....and hubby having had an Alsatian aka German Shepherd) with
affection and discipline...just like children......they normally do obey
their commands.

Monty not only has voice commands......but hand signals as well. He's not
been in a crate since 4 months.....can be trusted in the house alone for
long periods. When little he tried the chewing bit...but we removed the
negative gave him a positive.....now if he wants to chew he goes to his toy
corner and pulls out a toy. He, when about 7 months tried getting ...well
specifically paper towels .....off the counter when we left......how did we
handle it.....well we pretended to leave......had a pair of
binoculars.....went out back watched through the slider to see when he would
go for the paper towels.....took couple minutes guess he wanted to be sure
we were gone....and off he went.....to which I ran to the house caught him
in the act and berated him verbally......not once since has he touched
anything on the counter. I can leave STEAK thawing on it while I go to the
store.....it will still be there upon my return. (Guess he figures I'm a
crazy woman who can return at any moment and yell at him....lol)

lol sorry rambling......but you can teach them....just takes time and
patience.

Lisa

Old 21-05-2004, 06:11 PM
GoldLexus

Hahaha THAT is such a golden thing! Our golden does the 'zipping' thing
whenever we clap our hands. She just goes wild running in circles as fast as
any dog can.
Love my goldens!
I could never use a fido fence. Fortunately, goldens are really trainable.

Old 21-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Ka30P

From the original poster's problems this dog
had done A LOT of damage.
A Fido Fence may be the only thing that would allow him to keep the dog.
It is a reasonable alternative for many ponders.

kathy :-)

Old 21-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Just Me \Koi\

I'll tell you this Lisa,
Fido fence or no fido fence, me, and my dogs if you leave a steak on the
countertop we are eating it, damn the consequence! :-) lol

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in message
snip. I can leave STEAK thawing on it while I go to the
store.....it will still be there upon my return. (Guess he figures I'm a
crazy woman who can return at any moment and yell at him....lol)

snip

Old 22-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Nedra

And Thanks to you, Lisa! I'm pretty much convinced that
age is what makes the pond. Mine's 9 years old this summer.
Just my opinion ... ;-)

Nedra

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in message
Thank you Nedra!

I love your pond btw.....one day I hope to have something as pleasing to

the
eye as your pond!

Lisa
"Nedra" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi Lisa,
I really enjoyed my visit with you guys, especially
Monty, friends and all! What a Happy family ...
Pretty kitty cat ... and the pond... Oh Yes! The Pond!!

Nedra

Old 28-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Lee B.

Oh how cute! I added his photo to my collection of .jpgs of fish problems -
something to bring a smile to my face when I'm looking to ID a parasite
(that was meant as a compliment, BTW! I often need something to break the
tension) THIS one I would welcome GBG. He looks so *completely*
comfortable! I have Westies - my female must have been a Mother Superior in
a former life - she can't stand for anyone to have any fun if she's not
involved . . . it's all I can do to keep her out of the pond at feeding
time!

Lee

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in message
) Thank you.....we kinda think he is too....and as sweet as they come.
Typical Golden.

Lisa
"jammer" wrote in message
news

On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:26:51 GMT, "Steve and Lisa"
wrote:

http://www.britsintheus.com/marriedn...aypool.jpg.JPG

Precious!

Old 02-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Steve and Lisa

If you met him in person, you'd fall in love with him..or he'd drive you
crazy with his tennis ball....Monty is so adorable...and btw he thinks in
his doggy mind he is the size of one of your Westies. (Doesn't realize he's
105lbs)

Love Westies ...would have had one of those had we not gotten Monty. (Still
trying to convince hubby that Monty needs a friend.....lol)

Lisa

Old 02-06-2004, 05:07 PM

big dogs and little dogs dont mix well at all, especially not a Westie or other super
small fine boned dogs. it is a lot like having plecos in tanks with GF, everyone
knows somebody done it with no problem but sooner or later there are going to be
problems if not death. big dogs are big and clunky and their play style is big and
bone crunching. Ingrid

"Steve and Lisa" wrote:
(Doesn't realize he's
105lbs)
Love Westies ...would have had one of those had we not gotten Monty. (Still
trying to convince hubby that Monty needs a friend.....lol)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Steve and Lisa

Well I suppose we could just adopt another Golden then.....which is ok with
me as they are such sweethearts. Wish we'd gotten his little sister when we
chose him, but were not sure how well we'd do as adoptive Golden
parents....seems we've done quite well....or just gotten very lucky.

Lisa

"Steve and Lisa" wrote:
(Doesn't realize he's
105lbs)
Love Westies ...would have had one of those had we not gotten Monty.

(Still
trying to convince hubby that Monty needs a friend.....lol)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 03-06-2004, 02:04 AM

excellent. suggest you contact a Golden rescue cause then you get exactly size and
personality. Ingrid

"Steve and Lisa" wrote:

Well I suppose we could just adopt another Golden then.....which is ok with
me as they are such sweethearts. Wish we'd gotten his little sister when we
chose him, but were not sure how well we'd do as adoptive Golden
parents....seems we've done quite well....or just gotten very lucky.

Lisa

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Pond + dogs + frogs = big mistake? netnews.comcast.net Ponds 9 23-07-2003 05:02 PM
pond aerator question & dogs MsNick1 Ponds 5 27-06-2003 09:56 PM
Plants Toxic to Dogs Willow Australia 2 01-04-2003 10:20 AM
dogs and shade plants R B North Carolina 2 29-03-2003 02:08 AM
Best groundcover for Active DogS David Modine Gardening 6 28-01-2003 05:23 AM