Old 25-05-2004, 10:06 PM
stricks760

Default Dying Water Hyacinth

In March I bought some robust WH with big, green leaves. It slowly shrunk
down to tiny-leaved, mostly brown, ugly stuff -- which I pulled out and
threw away last weekend.

Why would this stuff be dying? I have a water lilly that's doing great &
duckweek, watercress, canna, umbrella plant, water celery -- no problem.

Any ideas?

Old 25-05-2004, 11:13 PM
joe

Where do you live? In San Diego mine mostly survives the winter, but in
spring new shoots appear and many of the older plants do what you are
describing. Maybe you got last years stock.

Joe

Old 26-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Steve J. Noll

On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:43:43 GMT, "stricks760"
wrote:

In March I bought some robust WH with big, green leaves. It slowly shrunk
down to tiny-leaved, mostly brown, ugly stuff -- which I pulled out and
threw away last weekend.

Why would this stuff be dying? I have a water lilly that's doing great &
duckweek, watercress, canna, umbrella plant, water celery -- no problem.

Any ideas?

Is there any salt in the water?

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California

Old 26-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Do your fish like roots?

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

ink.net...

Old 26-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

"stricks760" wrote in message
ink.net...
In March I bought some robust WH with big, green leaves. It slowly shrunk
down to tiny-leaved, mostly brown, ugly stuff -- which I pulled out and
threw away last weekend.

Why would this stuff be dying? I have a water lilly that's doing great &
duckweek, watercress, canna, umbrella plant, water celery -- no problem.

When my WH strat to shrivel a bit, I dose with potash. That always seems to
help them along.

BV.

Old 27-05-2004, 05:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us