Old 31-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Default String Algae *cure*

"Heather" wrote in message
news
Hi Happy 'Cam'per

Thank you for solving the mystery!

Hi Heather,

Its my pleasure for sharing the info but I cannot accept credit for the
'solving of' part. Through keeping planted aquaria you pick up on certain
'methods used' which I am just applying to a pond scenario. Keep in mind
that this is not a quick fix to your algae problems, it may help a bit but
certainly won't keep your pond completely free of Algae.

You mention you have zero Nitrates, either your test kit is wrong or you
have no fish in your pond, or you have bucketfulls of plants that are
sucking all the N up. Having zero nitrates is bad, this too can be causing
the string algae. Algae usually appears when the main nutrients N, P, K are
not in sync. K or Pottassium can be added to the pond without adverse
affects to the fish and the plants will benefit too, you can recognise
Pottassium defficiency in plants by the small pin holes that develop on the
leaves. N & P are very important nutrients for the plants. P or Phosphate
should be abundant in any pond (rotting leaves, mulm etc.) Check your water
test again for Nitrates, take a sample to your LFS aswell just to compare
the readings. If your Nitrate level is indeed near to zero then this could
be your problem. N & P should be in an approximate ratio of 10:1 N:P. You
could add more fish to get the N level up or you would have to remove some
plants as there just is'nt enough nutrients for them to thrive. If anything
is unclear then please ask questions and I'll try my best to answer them for
you. Again, all this info comes from keeping planted aquaria and not ponds,
although I'm pretty sure the method applies: look after your plants and not
the algae, give the plants what they need and you'll have happy fishies and
thriving plants. HTH
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 01-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Heather

Hi Cam

Interesting comments... I do have a few plants that are not the deep green
I think they should be. I will test the water tonight and go from there.

Thanks again,
Heather

Old 01-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Lee B.

Ah yes. And then you can have nitrAtes that are off the chart, too - which
will contribute to algae. By "off the chart", I mean it: it was over 200! A
series of 50% water changes finally got it down to 20. My "normal" 15%
weekly water exchanges were not enough to keep up. I have no plants. I have
phosphates and nitrates in my water supply, so that didn't help any.

Lee

Old 02-06-2004, 08:04 AM
*muffin*

I honestly envy you.

I can see, doing yard work, but I have enough problems climbing in & out of
the pond,,, I can see myself falling & killing myself

actually "I" detest yardwork & gardening, never got 'into' that. (can't
stand the sun) I force myself to do what needs to be done , and will look
for short cuts on all I can.

I have other hobbies that consume me and keep me very happily busy.

(VBG) guess that is why we are not all train conductors.

I'm 61 and retired
and hope like hell I can still be doing "physical work"
in the yard when I'm in my 80s, like a good friend
of mine who still does most of her own yardwork
even though she can well afford to pay someone
else to do it.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
jbjrfan

I was told last month on here that koi clay is the cure for string algae and
I ordered it and it came yesterday and after one treatment and one day looks
like 40 percent of it is gone already im thinking they must be right as I
haven't done anything else just wanted to say thanks for the BEST TIP EVER
for me to whoever it was and to the people that was giving them a hard time
pppffffffttt you don't know do do :-) lmbo