Old 10-06-2004, 12:11 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Do you know the percent of water change?

Exactly right BV.

There is NOTHING natural about a pond of a few thousand gallons or less run
by pumps and filters, especially with more than 1 fish/1000 gallons.... I'm
sure mother nature gives her fish more than 1000 gallons each!

I think you're very lucky Mike, and I hope it doesn't come back to bite you
in the butt like it did me last year. I was a causal water tester & water
changer. Then I hit critcal mass and even though I corrected the problems
and never had water quality totally out of whack, I've sure suffered my
losses.

That's the one thing that really surprised me, even once you correct the
Water Quality and/or over crowding problem, you can still have health
problems and/or fish losses. ~ jan

I think you are right with one caveat...I pond in the same manner, build it
and let it take care of itself, but when I built, I over built my filter. I
think if you have a large body of water, properly filtered, it is much more
forgiving then an overstocked, smaller pond.

BV.

wrote in message ...
Eyeball it..LOL Nothing scientific about it. I have never checked water

PH
etc in over 10 years. It is an outdoor pond . Its conditions are

dependent
on how much rain or lack of rain we get. If we get plenty of rain ..that

in
itself changes the water in the pond. If it is a dry spell in the Summer

might do a 1/3 water change every other week. I am not going to drive
myself nuts trying to keep the water conditions at a perfect level. My 10
year old Koi are proof that you don't have to go overboard and make allot

of
work for yourself with keeping a healthy pond. It is much better to have
fish that are adaptable to varying conditions, outdoor koi and goldfish

are
those types of creatures. Very adaptable. IMHO and experience. MIKE

Old 10-06-2004, 03:11 AM
RichToyBox

Yes. The smell of sex is potent. Smaller fish spawning one at a time don't
really make much of a scent, but when all of the fish decide to spawn at the
same time, you don't even have to go near the pond to know what they have
been doing.
--
RichToyBox
wrote in message ...
I can always tell when my koi are spawning because of a pronounced "fishy"
smell coming from the water. I have walked up to my pond and caught a

wiff
of that "smell" and sure enough I have seen the fish spawning. Anyone

ever
notice that??? Mike
"Lee B." wrote in message
RTB gave a pretty good synopsis of the situation.

I pretty much have the "standard" of koi keeping: too many fish in too

few
gallons. I'm working on that. When I started this hobby, no one told me

that
once you get past killing them with ignorance, they GROW. and BREED. One
good spawning session can *trash* your water quality for days. In a lake

or
river (their "natural" environment) there is a constant source of fresh
water, with new nutrients washing in and bad stuff washing out. In
captivity, they are kept in what is tantamount to a cess pool - and it's

up
to us, their "captors" to treat them humanely, which includes washing

out
the bad and reintroducing the new. There are "ideals" that should be

strived
for; there are "compromises" that can work. A dog *can* live at the end

of
chain, tied to a tree and thrown scraps, but that's not exactly "life".

My
fish are pets - with all that word conjures up; they are my

responsibility,
and I *will* see that they are properly tended to to the extent of my
ability. Does that make them "spoiled"? Maybe - but it keeps them

healthy,
too.

Lee

wrote in message .

Yes...they do vary *wildly* but koi are very adaptable fish. They can

adapt
to almost any environment. Lets say you adapt you koi to a certain

water
quality..that you feel they do best in. PH ,water hardness, a

pristine
level...then they become accustomed to that water quality. So every

time
it
rains, or you do a water change aren't they more sensitive to disease

and
stress because they are "spoiled", used to one specific water

quality???
I'm not arguing your point...just curious?? thanks Mike
"Lee B." wrote in message
One of the things that I've learned on my journey to proper koi

keeping
is
that conditions vary *wildly* from place to place within the U.S.,

let
alone
the rest of the world. Your recommendation - which obviously works

well
for
you in your part of the world - would be condemning my fish (in MY

part
of
the world) to certain death in very short order. Kick back, relax

and
thank
your deity of choice for living in such a fortunate location.

Lee

Old 10-06-2004, 03:12 AM
RichToyBox

Once the immune system is compromised by the stress of overcrowding, or poor
water quality, it takes a long time for the immune system to get back up to
strength, and the fish will continue to break with ulcers or worse. It is
very tiring to get over a breakout.
--
RichToyBox
s.com...

Old 10-06-2004, 03:14 PM

I have a filter that is very large for the pond size. I don't over feed.
Usually what the will eat in a few minutes and only every other day.
Sometimes I let them go for a week and they eat the algae. I've been
keeping fish since 1970 so have plenty of experience. Commercially bred
rare Killifish (was involved in a breeding project to help save a species of
endangered desert pupfish)& Betas back in the early 70's & 80's. Then a
sundry other types of fish. In other words I know what I am doing and also
know about all the rip-offs and unnecessary gadgets that are sold for
aquarium lovers. I believe in rigid water changes(unless we have allot of
rain). What works for me may not work for other people or visa versa.
Other the years it all becomes intuition..like anything else. LOL MIKE

wrote in message

Yes...they do vary *wildly* but koi are very adaptable fish. They can

adapt

to almost any environment. Lets say you adapt you koi to a certain

water

quality..that you feel they do best in. PH ,water hardness, a pristine
level...then they become accustomed to that water quality. So every

time

it

rains, or you do a water change aren't they more sensitive to disease

and

stress because they are "spoiled", used to one specific water

quality???
I'm not arguing your point...just curious?? thanks Mike
.. .