Old 29-05-2004, 05:05 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Do you know the percent of water change?

I did a water change today and thought I'd do a salt check before and
after. Before the change I had a salt level of .13%, after I had .11%.
Bascially doing a little more than a 15% water change out. (13 - 11 = 2, 2
divided by 13 equals .154 or 15.4%) Surprised me. Here I though I was doing
between 20-25%.

So for those of us who don't have perfectly straight walled, flat bottom
ponds who could calculate their water change % in feet (or inches) i.e., 4
ft of pond, drain down 1' equals a 25% change out. Here is another way to
use your salt test measurements. ;o) ~ jan

Old 02-06-2004, 07:09 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Glad you liked it. I do wonder how many folks this went "Zoom" over their
heads or felt like, Ponds, Math, Huh? ;o) VBEG ~ jan

jan, the "divided by 13" comes from your beginning figure of .13? Kewl!

Lee

ws.com...

Old 02-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Lee B.

Would the water's ambient salt level make any difference? IOW, if the
ambient level is .02, it would need to be subtracted from the .11, leaving
..09. Therefore, 13-9 = 4/13 = ~31. A 31% water change would have been
closer to what you "thought" it was, instead of 15%. Or am I full of "it"
again? Math was never my forte. I don't know if it would make a difference
or not.

Old 02-06-2004, 06:02 PM
HTH

Jan,
If you do not mind I would like to add this concept to the HTH page on
water changes. Maybe start a pond specific section.
Howard

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Glad you liked it. I do wonder how many folks this went "Zoom" over their
heads or felt like, Ponds, Math, Huh? ;o) VBEG ~ jan

jan, the "divided by 13" comes from your beginning figure of .13? Kewl!

Lee

ews.com...

Old 03-06-2004, 05:07 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I suppose if the water you're adding in has some salt in it, you may very
well have to take that into account. Good catch, Lee. No detectable ambient
level here, thank goodness, because.....

The math though is throwing me, but I think you're right, take the .02 away
from the after-the-change number, if you don't it wouldn't look like you
took any water at all, would it? Now I'm starting to hear "Zooms" around my
head. ;o) ~ jan

Old 09-06-2004, 03:14 PM

Eyeball it..LOL Nothing scientific about it. I have never checked water PH
etc in over 10 years. It is an outdoor pond . Its conditions are dependent
on how much rain or lack of rain we get. If we get plenty of rain ..that in
itself changes the water in the pond. If it is a dry spell in the Summer I
might do a 1/3 water change every other week. I am not going to drive
myself nuts trying to keep the water conditions at a perfect level. My 10
year old Koi are proof that you don't have to go overboard and make allot of
work for yourself with keeping a healthy pond. It is much better to have
fish that are adaptable to varying conditions, outdoor koi and goldfish are
those types of creatures. Very adaptable. IMHO and experience. MIKE

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message ...
[...]

I think you are right with one caveat...I pond in the same manner, build it
and let it take care of itself, but when I built, I over built my filter. I
think if you have a large body of water, properly filtered, it is much more
forgiving then an overstocked, smaller pond.

BV.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Lee B.

One of the things that I've learned on my journey to proper koi keeping is
that conditions vary *wildly* from place to place within the U.S., let alone
the rest of the world. Your recommendation - which obviously works well for
you in your part of the world - would be condemning my fish (in MY part of
the world) to certain death in very short order. Kick back, relax and thank
your deity of choice for living in such a fortunate location.

Lee

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM

Yes...they do vary *wildly* but koi are very adaptable fish. They can adapt
to almost any environment. Lets say you adapt you koi to a certain water
quality..that you feel they do best in. PH ,water hardness, a pristine
level...then they become accustomed to that water quality. So every time it
rains, or you do a water change aren't they more sensitive to disease and
stress because they are "spoiled", used to one specific water quality???
I'm not arguing your point...just curious?? thanks Mike

Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
RichToyBox

Koi can adapt to almost any water parameters, but they do not adapt quickly.
Temperature changes over very short times can be stressful. pH changes over
short intervals are stressful. When stress enters the picture, disease
enters the picture, and fish start dying if they are not properly medicated,
quarantined in pristine water, and allowed to ease the stress. A large farm
pond or lake does not change rapidly and the fish fair well with little or
no human intervention. The smaller the yard pond the more rapidly the
temperature, pH, and overall water quality change. That is the best reason
for building the largest pond possible. Even the largest koi pond that I
have visited, about 17000 gallons needs some monitoring. Yard ponds also
suffer from over population. The first year, a bunch of little fish, and it
looks empty, so get a bunch more, and it is a big pond with a bunch of
little fish and all is well. The next year, the little fish, if koi, are a
foot to a foot and half long, and the pond still looks like it could stand a
few more fish, and I just saw the cutest fish that I just had to have. By
the fourth or fifth year, the fish can hardly turn around without bumping
into each other, because they are now over 2 feet long and 5 or 6 inches in
diameter. They are all my friends and I can't part with any of them.
Oxygen becomes a problem, filtration becomes a problem, pollution becomes a
problem.
--
RichToyBox

Old 09-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Lee B.

RTB gave a pretty good synopsis of the situation.

I pretty much have the "standard" of koi keeping: too many fish in too few
gallons. I'm working on that. When I started this hobby, no one told me that
once you get past killing them with ignorance, they GROW. and BREED. One
good spawning session can *trash* your water quality for days. In a lake or
river (their "natural" environment) there is a constant source of fresh
water, with new nutrients washing in and bad stuff washing out. In
captivity, they are kept in what is tantamount to a cess pool - and it's up
to us, their "captors" to treat them humanely, which includes washing out
the bad and reintroducing the new. There are "ideals" that should be strived
for; there are "compromises" that can work. A dog *can* live at the end of a
chain, tied to a tree and thrown scraps, but that's not exactly "life". My
fish are pets - with all that word conjures up; they are my responsibility,
and I *will* see that they are properly tended to to the extent of my
ability. Does that make them "spoiled"? Maybe - but it keeps them healthy,
too.

Lee

Old 09-06-2004, 09:14 PM

I can always tell when my koi are spawning because of a pronounced "fishy"
smell coming from the water. I have walked up to my pond and caught a wiff
of that "smell" and sure enough I have seen the fish spawning. Anyone ever
notice that??? Mike