Old 29-05-2004, 04:05 PM
pixi

Default Great Stuff to Seal Leaks?

Hello. Did the Great Stuff work to seal your leak? And if it did, where
did you buy it?

Sent you an e-mail but it bounced.

Thanks

Pixi

Old 30-05-2004, 07:05 AM
GoldLexus

Pixi I am assuming you are referring to my post about patching our
waterfall.
We will be doing the patching on Monday. I picked up the Great Stuff at Home
Depot yesterday.
It will be a couple of weeks before we have the waterfall running. Along
with patching the waterfall we
have to clean out the pond and filters. And we want to re-route the water
better down the falls.
I will let you know how it goes. I have read posts from a long time ago and
it sounds like the
Great Stuff really does the job. I ever read that someone built their entire
falls using the Great Stuff
as a mortar for the rocks and they seem happy about their outcome.
My two questions still stands....How long will it last and what kind of
paint to use to cover the Great stuff
up.

Old 30-05-2004, 12:04 PM
pixi

I don't know much about pond buildings but I have learned a few things by
trial and error. I used some sort of expanding foam on my waterfall and
sprayed with an oil based paint. Big mistake! The paint ate holes in the
foam. I then bought some latex based paint and it worked well. So be sure
to read the label on the Great Stuff can. It may tell you what not to use.

Please do keep me informed.

Pixi.

Old 31-05-2004, 06:03 PM
dkat

I don't know how picky you are about your rocks but once you get Great Stuff
on them it is almost impossible to get off. I decided I didn't like it and
it didn't solve my problem. That isn't to say it won't work. Just that you
might try it out in a 'test' area to get the feel of it and all. It expands
really quickly and is difficult to control. It sticks to anything and
everything. I don't know if it would help to put Saran wrap on top of the
area you want to seal (tape it to make an envelop?), spray in the Great
Stuff, and then put your rocks on top of this while it is not yet set....

Old 31-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Andrew Burgess

I don't know how picky you are about your rocks but once you get Great Stuff
on them it is almost impossible to get off. I decided I didn't like it and
it didn't solve my problem. That isn't to say it won't work. Just that you
might try it out in a 'test' area to get the feel of it and all. It expands
really quickly and is difficult to control. It sticks to anything and
everything.

I'm not sure what Great Stuff is made of but if it's polyurethane there
are cans of low and high expansion PU available at hardware stores.

Does it say anything informative on the label?

Old 01-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

"pixi" wrote in message
Hello. Did the Great Stuff work to seal your leak? And if it did, where
did you buy it?

I have used triple expanding foam on Shareholders Pond with mixed results. I
am not sure if it is the same as Great Stuff or not. Heck, I may have even
used Great Stuff, I dunno, never read the side of the can. Anyway, I found
that stopping leaks in my VF dam it worked just fine. It didn't totally stop
the flow, but it slowed it enough for my liking. I used it to patch a leak
in my stream and that has been a disaster. Once the foam absorbs enough
water, it just wicks more and more out of the pond. We're in the process of
fixing this now.

BV.

No LEAKS! :-))) Reel McKoi Ponds 3 08-03-2005 05:59 PM
Great Stuff to Seal Leaks OR SILICONE seal Heather Ponds 1 21-06-2004 08:09 PM
Great Stuff to Seal Leaks? GACinMass Ponds 1 01-05-2004 07:07 PM
??Murray Riding Mower?? !!Recall-Fuel Tank Leaks!! Stephen M. Henning Gardening 0 19-03-2004 02:42 PM
??Murray Riding Mower?? !!Recall-Fuel Tank Leaks!! Stephen M. Henning Gardening 0 19-03-2004 02:32 PM