Old 31-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Mike Patterson

Default Single info source on pond chemistry?

Is there a single web site that discusses all the various chemical
issues?

My head is spinning from reading here about ammonia, nitrates,
nitrites, Ph, Kh, Muriate of Potash, Sulphate of Potash, Alkalinity,
clay, kitty litter, blah blah blah.

The best source I've seen so far was presented in another post here by
Jan.
http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/H2oQual.html

Does anyone else have nominations for The Perfect Site? :-)

TIA
Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Old 31-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
Is there a single web site that discusses all the various chemical
issues?

My head is spinning from reading here about ammonia, nitrates,
nitrites, Ph, Kh, Muriate of Potash, Sulphate of Potash, Alkalinity,
clay, kitty litter, blah blah blah.

The best source I've seen so far was presented in another post here by
Jan.
http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/H2oQual.html

Does anyone else have nominations for The Perfect Site? :-)

Nope, but I did add this to the IHeartMyPond.com database to be published
with the next release! LOL.

BV.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:10 AM
rasta

On Mon, 31 May 2004 10:42:26 -0400, Mike Patterson
wrote:

Is there a single web site that discusses all the various chemical
issues?

snip

time and again i have read the site of the provided link by you.

here is another:

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/water/waterhome.htm

chlormines in your water?

http://www.co.arlington.va.us/dpw/wss/wquality/fish.htm

another very good h2o quality site:

http://www.akca.org/

click-Koi Health Advisor -Basic Water Quality-Basic Water Chemistry
*i constantly refer to this one as well.*

keeping a coupla freshwater aqauriums, a fish only salt tank - and now
a goldfish pond, it seems as if *some* of my time is consumed with
being a h2o chemist. am using a RO unit with an inline DI filter for
the aqauria and have started using this same filtered water for 10%
water changes to the pond.

hth,

positive vibes, rasta
http://rynholland.tripod.com/
http://rynholland.tripod.com/pond/id2.html
http://rynholland.tripod.com/pond/id1.html

Old 02-06-2004, 07:05 AM
George

news
wrote:

[...]

Be careful when using pure water for water changes, as it can knocked the water
quality out of balance. From the Koi Club of San Diego:

"There is some disagreement about salt in Koi ponds. Our San Diego tap water
often has a salinity of up to 0.5 ppt. This amount cannot be tasted but we drink
it and we put it into our ponds as make up water. If our Koi were put into an
absolutely pure (distilled) water environment, the osmotic pressure would be so
high that some would be unable to eliminate the excess water and would die
almost as if by drowning. On the other hand, if the salinity approaches that of
the internal tissues of the fish, the osmosis process will decrease or even
reverse. This can cause the fish to die, essentially of dehydration. Any
discussions should therefore center not on should salt be in the pond but how
much."

If you use purified water for water changes, it is probably a good idea to check
the hardness and salinity afterwards, and adjust accordingly. The acceptable
salinity range for freshwater ponds is 0-5 ppt. You can read more about it at
this link:

http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/H2oQual.html#SALINITY

Old 02-06-2004, 07:07 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:24:57 -0500, rasta wrote:

another very good h2o quality site:

http://www.akca.org/

click-Koi Health Advisor -Basic Water Quality-Basic Water Chemistry
*i constantly refer to this one as well.*

Yes, that would be the other place, same author Norm Meck, but deeper
doodoo. ;o) ~ jan