Old 02-06-2004, 01:11 AM
Greg Costanzo

Default River Stones and Murky Water

I just created a monster. I was just going to make a simple little
pond but as I started digging I couldn't stop myself. I know have a
1300 gallon pond - 7.5' x 12.5' ~ 3.5' deep... Problem is I bought
river stone and put it on my shelves (not on the very bottom). I just
started reading the posts of the pros and cons of gravel and I'm
worried.
To top that off, the first bag had some silt left after draining and
when we poured it in the pond it created a nice murky mess!!! It's
day 2 and still has shown no improvement -- I have an internal filter
and external filter both offering biological and mechanical filtration
with a 1300 gph pump. Should i just be patient or is this hopeless?
I added some Laguna Pond Clear and haven't really seen a huge change,
I'd like to see the bottom? is there hope? I'd rather try not to
drain the pond due to the expense of filling another 1300 gallons. I
just want clear water :-/

Please help a newbie!!

Thanks,
Greg
Old 02-06-2004, 02:10 AM
Jerrispond

To top that off, the first bag had some silt left after draining andwhen we
poured it in the pond it created a nice murky mess!!! It's
day 2 and still has shown no improvement -

Give it time it will clear....think of the bright side...the longer it is
cloudy the longer the pea soup stays away LOL Jerri

Old 02-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Lee B.

Do you have any koi clay (calcium bentonite clay)? If so, mix about 2 Tbs.
per 1,000 gallons of water into a bucket of pond water, then distribute it
as evenly as possible around the pond. It will act as a flocculent and take
the dust to the bottom. Otherwise, just wait: it will clear eventually.
Ask BV G! He's our resident expert on suspended "stuff" (although his was
clay)!

Lee

om...

Old 03-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Benign Vanilla

[...]

I had a similar problem with clay, and found patience to be the only
solution. Using lime or another floculant can help settle it, but time is
the best solution.

BV.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:10 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

IMHO, I'd calculate just how much that water really cost, probably $5?
Especially since you put the gravel in. It is much nicer to remove clean
river rock (that can be resold or used else where) than river rock full of
muck and refill. ~ jan

Murky pond water unspokenchaos Ponds 16 05-06-2012 04:18 PM
Murky water aguaverde Ponds (moderated) 1 25-05-2011 11:45 AM
One year on and still a brown, murky pond whiskybelle Ponds 5 13-01-2011 02:13 PM
murky water John H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 15-07-2005 10:41 AM
Murky Waters Travis Ponds 0 17-06-2003 05:44 PM