Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Rez

Default REQ: advice

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Rez" wrote in message
snip
I feel the same way about the netting, I just want the natural look

also.
I've seen ponds with netting and IMO it does spoil it. It has been

suggested
here (and other places) that I try using decoys of some kind (although
someone suggested a heron decoy, would that work? I don't know too much
about herons, but wouldn't the sight of my decoy say to a real heron

passing
over "Hmm, wonder what he's found" ?)
I think I will just see what happens.

snip

I seem to remember one ponder lamenting how a real heron was trying to

mate
with the decoy, and went as far as to catch some fish and drop them at the
feet of the decoy. Ya know the old, "I caught you dinner, now give me some
hot heron lovin" stereotype.

BV.

LOL @ hot heron lovin'
Maybe I should get a male heron decoy, do they make them gender specific? Do
female Herons court male herons, I imagine not.

---

Old 09-06-2004, 04:15 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Mike, Invest in a "Heron Scarer" the little orange plastic fake fish one
can anchor to the bottom. The heron hopefully will grab for it first notify
the live ones to hide.

There is also the motion sprinkler that I use called The Scarecrow. So far
no one MIA here. ~ jan

Well, when it happens, don't go into a complete panic for a while.

I had a heron visit about 3-4 weeks ago, thought I'd lost several
fish, but as of yesterday I was finally able to do a head count and
find that I only lost one. It -did- take until yesterday for all the
fish to come out of hiding and close enough to the surface to be
counted, though.

I put a 12" piece of 8" diameter black plastic pipe in the bottom,
plus stacked some of the large rocks so that there are hiding places
under them.

BTW, when I cut the pipe, it had very sharp edges at the cut lines, so
I used a torch and melted them to a smooth "rolled" edge. Hopefully
the fish can't hurt themselves on it.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

[REQ] Seeking advice on a chipper vac Joe Blevins Texas 0 07-09-2005 12:28 AM
REQ: Advice Rez United Kingdom 3 05-06-2004 04:13 PM
REQ: Advice on courses for Landscape design ...... T&T Gardens Gardening 5 25-10-2003 06:12 PM
REQ: Chile pepper planting advice... Shot Caller Edible Gardening 2 12-10-2003 03:12 PM
REQ: Chile pepper planting advice... Shot Caller Gardening 0 10-10-2003 07:02 PM