Old 10-06-2004, 02:10 AM
RichToyBox

Default Koi Hardiness( A Learning Experience)

My BIL was using this setup a couple of years ago. For some reason, it
decided to let go of the chlorine during a top up. The chlorine measured
off the scale on a pool test kit. Fish were dying and we were trying to
figure out what caused the fish deaths and got the test kit. Also the
filter doesn't tell you when it has spent its ability to absorb, so you
really need to have a test kit and measure the chlorine level at least
periodically.
--
RichToyBox
"Ka30P" wrote in message

To make a dechlor device to attach to the end of your hose go here
http://www.pondrushes.net/tips.htm
and scroll down to tip 18.
I use this and have been happy with it.

kathy :-)

Old 10-06-2004, 03:12 AM
Ka30P

Rich wrote The chlorine measured
off the scale on a pool test kit. Fish were dying and we were trying to
figure out what caused the fish deaths and got the test kit.

Yes, forgot to mention, since the site doesn't say it, replace the filter
cartridge every year.
And testing it once in a while is good.

kathy :-)
Old 12-06-2004, 08:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

My question is why people don't get timers on their faucets? They can be
purchased from real cheap around $10 to the fancier computer models up to
$50. The more expensive models can be set to fill the pond periodically.
Personally, I like to know if my pond is losing water, when and how much.
~ jan

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:19:36 -0500, Mark Bannister wrote:

Why don't folks install a automatic valve to fill the pond? Co-op
stores sell a cheap valve to keep cattle troughs full (a toilet valve
would work as well). A supply line, check value, and the water filter
mentioned in this thread and you never have to worry about it again.
If your pond sprung a leak you could at least keep some water coming in.
What's worse on the fish, no water or different water?

Mark B.

Benign Vanilla wrote:
wrote in message ...

I think you are right. LOL As a side note and a helpful hint. I always
keep a bottle of dechlor on hand. I also now make it a habit when doing a
water change to set the timer on our stove as a reminder that I am adding
water to the pond. More than once I had forgotten about the hose running
and had added way to much chlorinated water to the pond. Once again my
guardian angel was watching my fish.

I keep a half gallon of dechlor on hand at all times. When I top off/refill,
I use a meter on the hose ($15 at Home Depot) and I fill 200 gallons at a
time. Add dechlor, fill. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed. Takes some extra
time, but pretty safe.

BV.