Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
*muffin*

Default chipmunks??

I saw chipmunk(s) around my pond today.
his is highly unusual to see chipmunks or squirrels here inour yard.
(this is strange out here, even though we are in farm country, have a lot of
woods on over 16 acres, I rarely see these critters, I saw more in the
suburbs back yard!)

soooooo what damage can chipmunks do?
I suppose they 'might' burrow down & chew on the liner?

what else?

should I worry much?

??? the dog also killed 2 baby possums this week, next to the
house.........(hmmm wonder where they are hiding)

Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Nedra

I've got loads of chipmunks around the front and back yard ... including the
ponds.
They mainly just run all over the place and tend to use the deck as
stop-over.

Nedra

Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Ka30P

"*muffin*" wrote
I saw chipmunk(s) around my pond today.
his is highly unusual to see chipmunks or squirrels here inour yard.

Sometimes unusual animals will show up when there is a short term or long term
drought going on, looking for water from your pond.
Or a series of mild winters has allowed a population expansion and they are
looking for new territory. We have a squirrel, much to the watergardening
labradors disgust, for the first time in the 14 years we've been in this house.
They are all over the neighborhood now.

kathy :-)
Old 10-06-2004, 02:08 AM
styxx374

Hmm...the other day I found some of my newest tulip bulbs uprooted and
scattered...could that have been them?

"Mark Bannister" wrote in message
They are notorious for digging near home foundations and causing water
problems. They could easily undermine rocks and other features around
your pond and cause problems. They *love* to chew on bulbs and during
hard winters they will kill small shrubs by eating the bark and
"girdling" them.
Mark B.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Mark Bannister

My experience with chipmunks is that they don't leave anything. I don't
know if they carry it off or just dig down and nibble till it's all
gone. We've had iris beds completely wiped out before.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Ka30P

Speaking of ---- was watching CNN this morning and they reported that the
newest fad on some eastern college campuses is 'squirrel fishing'
They tie a peanut to a piece of fishing line and when the squirrel tucks it
into his cheek pouches they reel him in. They award points for the most
tenacious squirrel - those squirrels who will let themselves be lifted off the
ground still hanging on to their peanut.
The watergardening labradors think this may be an alternative to chasing and
barking at the cursed squirrel in their backyard...

kathy :-)
Old 10-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Speaking of ---- was watching CNN this morning and they reported that the
newest fad on some eastern college campuses is 'squirrel fishing'
They tie a peanut to a piece of fishing line and when the squirrel tucks

it
into his cheek pouches they reel him in. They award points for the most
tenacious squirrel - those squirrels who will let themselves be lifted off

the
ground still hanging on to their peanut.
The watergardening labradors think this may be an alternative to chasing

and
barking at the cursed squirrel in their backyard...

I am torn between being appalled, and wanting to try this.

BV.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote I am torn between being appalled, and wanting to try this.

After The Great Dye Experiment, you need
a new hobby...

kathy :-)
Old 10-06-2004, 04:12 PM

why appalled, aint like the squirrel is eating a peanut on a hook. around Marquette
the squirrels are so brash they almost jump into you lap for handouts. Ingrid

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Speaking of ---- was watching CNN this morning and they reported that the
newest fad on some eastern college campuses is 'squirrel fishing'
They tie a peanut to a piece of fishing line and when the squirrel tucks

it
into his cheek pouches they reel him in. They award points for the most
tenacious squirrel - those squirrels who will let themselves be lifted off

the
ground still hanging on to their peanut.
The watergardening labradors think this may be an alternative to chasing

and
barking at the cursed squirrel in their backyard...

I am torn between being appalled, and wanting to try this.

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Ka30P

Ingrid wrote squirrels are so brash they almost jump into you lap for
handouts.

When we used to hike in the Tetons I remember one marmot who grabbed my
DH's day pack and started dragging it off
to his den.

kathy :-)

Old 10-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
why appalled, aint like the squirrel is eating a peanut on a hook. around

Marquette
the squirrels are so brash they almost jump into you lap for handouts.

Ingrid
snip

I am a bit of a Buddhist, and don't look kindly on the suffering of any
critter, aside from the occasional mockery of JMK of course. LOL. I dunno,
seems like it's mean to the squirrels.

BV.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Ingrid wrote squirrels are so brash they almost jump into you lap for
handouts.

When we used to hike in the Tetons I remember one marmot who grabbed my
DH's day pack and started dragging it off
to his den.

They are tenacious buggers aren't they? We climbed Whitney last year, and
Marmots quickly became know as Mormons when one person made the slip of the
tongue. LOL.

BV.

Old 11-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Happy'Cam'per

I am a bit of a Buddhist, and don't look kindly on the suffering of any
critter, aside from the occasional mockery of JMK of course. LOL. I dunno,
seems like it's mean to the squirrels.

ROF, are you only a BIT of a buddhist?

Old 11-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
I am a bit of a Buddhist, and don't look kindly on the suffering of any
critter, aside from the occasional mockery of JMK of course. LOL. I

dunno,
seems like it's mean to the squirrels.

ROF, are you only a BIT of a buddhist?

Yeah, totally. Sorry, have not been able to give up the beer, the steak and
the big screen TV. Maybe in the next life. For now, I'll just be nice to
critters, keep my vices and be just a bit of a buddhist.

BV.

Old 11-06-2004, 03:06 PM

well considering what I have in mind for those damn tree rats that strip my trees of
fruit, dig up all my non daffodil bulbs etc, teasing them is pretty mild and
harmless. Ingrid

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

wrote in message
why appalled, aint like the squirrel is eating a peanut on a hook. around

Marquette
the squirrels are so brash they almost jump into you lap for handouts.

Ingrid
snip

I am a bit of a Buddhist, and don't look kindly on the suffering of any
critter, aside from the occasional mockery of JMK of course. LOL. I dunno,
seems like it's mean to the squirrels.

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
defense against squirrels and chipmunks seepnezorf1 Gardening 5 22-09-2003 01:14 AM
Chipmunks freddotr Lawns 21 09-08-2003 02:39 PM
chipmunks swim Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 0 12-05-2003 01:08 PM
*#^!$%& Chipmunks ate liner last winter Roger Bennett Ponds 9 22-04-2003 01:44 AM