Old 16-06-2004, 03:05 AM
Ka30P

Default string algae reference

Some of our rec.ponders have used and liked String Algae Buster so I went and
looked it up on google. Found this article at
http://www.nfkc.info/barbels008.htm
and it said that it works by -
" forcing the strands of string algae to take in excess calcium from the
surrounding water. When the algae absorbs this calcium, the strands break off,
floating to the surface. Once they separate, they will either go into the
skimmer, or be easily weeded out by hand".

It also pointed out that too much string algae seems to go hand in hand with
the usual villians that cause suspended (green water) algae - too many fish,
too much food, too little plants. And that still has to be remedied.

So I added it to the green water primer.

kathy :-)