Old 17-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Zeuspaul

Default PVC through Concrete Pond Wall

Does concrete adhere to PVC? What is the best way to run a 4 inch piece of
PVC through the wall of a concrete pond and keep it from leaking at the
joint? The PVC pipe will be about two feet below the water surface.

Thanks
Old 17-06-2004, 05:05 PM
PlainBill

I'd suggest copying the practices the swimming pool builder use. I
assume by 4 inch you mean diameter, not length.

If you have not poured the concrete yet, I'd simply pour the concrete
around the pipe, making sure the concrete is packed around the pipe so
there are no voids, especially underneath the pipe.

If the wall is already in place, you are going to have to knock a
hole in the wall, then put the pipe through and cement it in place
with hydraulic cement. This will expand as it cures and form a tight
seal to the existing concrete and the pipe.

PlainBill

Old 18-06-2004, 05:22 AM
RichToyBox

I would use a closet flange with the pipe glued into each side. The flange
will be in the center of the concrete and act as a water stop, making the
water have a longer path. Concrete only sticks to pvc when you don't want
it to. Vibrations in the plumbing, temperature changes, and other factors
will cause the pvc to become lose in the hole, but the closet flange is
thoroughly anchored.
--
RichToyBox

Old 18-06-2004, 05:26 AM
Zeuspaul

Does concrete adhere to PVC? What is the best way to run a 4 inch piece
of
PVC through the wall of a concrete pond and keep it from leaking at the
joint? The PVC pipe will be about two feet below the water surface.

I'd suggest copying the practices the swimming pool builder use. I
assume by 4 inch you mean diameter, not length.

If you have not poured the concrete yet, I'd simply pour the concrete
around the pipe, making sure the concrete is packed around the pipe so
there are no voids, especially underneath the pipe.

The pond is not built yet. Is that what the swimming pool builders do?
Just pour concrete around it? I could make the wall thicker near the
joint...perhaps 12 or eighteen inches. Also thought about running a bead
of silicon around the pipe before pouring the concrete.

Thanks for the thoughts
Old 18-06-2004, 05:28 AM
Zeuspaul

I would use a closet flange with the pipe glued into each side. The
flange
will be in the center of the concrete and act as a water stop, making the
water have a longer path. Concrete only sticks to pvc when you don't

want
it to. Vibrations in the plumbing, temperature changes, and other

factors
will cause the pvc to become lose in the hole, but the closet flange is
thoroughly anchored.

Do I have to cut the pipe or are you recommending passing it through the
flange? I found some online...however it is a little hard to figure if the
pipe will pass through the flange.

The closet flanges seem to run about 5 bucks which is a LOT cheaper than
the $45 4 inch water stop I found.
http://www.recreonics.com/fyi/wall_fittings.htm

Thanks

Old 18-06-2004, 05:31 AM
tim chandler

That's exactly what I did with my concrete pond. I simply laid the PVC pipe
in place with some gravel under it, and then poured the concrete over and
around it, a bit thicker (further back) than the rest of the pond wall. At
the surface (where the water meets the concrete) I later coated the concrete
with Quikrete Vinyl Patching Cement, the whole pond. I used hardware cloth
to reinforce the whole structure. No leaks at all 4 years later. You could
run a bead of silicone around the pipe if you want, but I didn't and it
hasn't been necessary.

Happy Concrete Ponding,
Tim C.

Old 18-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Just Me \Koi\

This approach will leak!
Just Me Koi, AIA

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 18-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Webfoot

Just a guess here but do you think a coating of roof patch or tar on
the pipe first would help. It would stay playable enough to withstand
the expansions and contractions of the cement through the seasons.

Just a thought

Russell Mack
Old 18-06-2004, 05:05 PM
tim chandler

Hasn't leaked for me, in over 4 years in my home-built concrete pond. I'd
do it the same way over again, too, if I build another.

Tim

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
This approach will leak!
Just Me Koi, AIA

--

Old 19-06-2004, 01:10 AM
RichToyBox

For the closet flange to be glued to the pvc, the pvc would have to be cut,
inserted half way from one side, and then inserted half way from the other
side. It would function the same way as the ones you found as waterstops.
Just be sure that the pipe will go into both sides when you buy one.
--
RichToyBox