Old 17-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Smith

Default What was this that bit me??????

Was cleaning out some weed from the pond 2 days ago(I'm in UK) and looked
down to see a small black slug type thing on my ankle. I pulled it off, but
it had been attached to me and left a pinprick of a hole. Over the last day
this has now swelled up and redness has spread. I can hardly bear weight on
it.

Was it a leech? If not any suggestions, and do I need medical attention. Are
they poisonous, whatever they are??

Tony

Old 17-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Ka30P

Yes, it was probably a leech and if
you are reacting to anything with that
much pain and spreading redness get
thyself to a doctor immediately.

And let us know if you're okay!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 18-06-2004, 05:20 AM
Mike Patterson

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:00:26 +0100, "Smith"
wrote:

Was cleaning out some weed from the pond 2 days ago(I'm in UK) and looked
down to see a small black slug type thing on my ankle. I pulled it off, but
it had been attached to me and left a pinprick of a hole. Over the last day
this has now swelled up and redness has spread. I can hardly bear weight on
it.

Was it a leech? If not any suggestions, and do I need medical attention. Are
they poisonous, whatever they are??

Tony

That was a leech.

See a doctor -now-!

It seems either you have a fast-growing infection or an allergic
reaction. Neither one is a good thing.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Old 18-06-2004, 05:21 AM
GrannyGrump

Was it a leech? If not any suggestions, and do I need medical attention. Are
they poisonous, whatever they are??

A leech bite will ooze liquid for 10-25 hours or so after the leech
has been removed.

http://www.marylanddoctors.org/outdoor/leeches.htm
says:
Leeches are parasitic annelid worms that live on land or in water.
They attach to human skin with a painless bite in order to extract
blood through the skin. Some of them release a substance called
hirudin, which is an anticoagulant (causes increased tendency to
bleed). Aquatic leeches are found in fresh water, and are considered
more dangerous than those on land, because they can attach inside the
mouth, throat, lungs, vagina, urethra, and other internal sites.

To remove a leech, don't pull it off — the residual sore may be
larger. Instead, apply lemon juice, salt, vinegar, tobacco juice, or
insect repellent. Using a lighted or recently extinguished match or
glowing ember may cause a skin burn. If the detached leech sticks to
your fingers, roll it between them. If a leech is attached to
someone's eye, shine a flashlight close to it; it may move toward the
light and away from the eye. The medical considerations for a leech
bite are itching and secondary infection. Insect repellents
particularly DEET applied to clothing and skin, will discourage leech
attachment. Slippery grease (such as petroleum jelly) applied to
exposed skin may also help. Wear waterproof boots when wading in
leech-infested water, and tuck in pant legs.

Infection:
http://www.marylanddoctors.org/outdo..._infection.htm
Despite your best efforts, a wound may become infected. The most
common bacteria that cause wound infection are Staphylococcus aureus
and Streptococcus pyogenes. The common signs of an infection include
redness and swelling surrounding the wound, pus or cloudy discharge
(pink, green, or cream colored), a foul odor (this is variable),
fever, increased wound tenderness, red streaking that travels to the
trunk from the wound, fever, and swollen regional lymph nodes.

If a wound is infected, its edges should be spread apart to allow the
drainage of any pus.
Old 18-06-2004, 05:30 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Can BV and I have your Koi if you end up not being ok? {;-)}

(I know that humor is in poor taste!)

--
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 18-06-2004, 08:04 AM
*muffin*

*snort*

that was the very 1st time I spit my drink all over my computer screen.

*giggle*

muffin also sorry about the bad taste on the comments *chortle*

news