Old 20-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Default Green Growth. was water hyacinth

Patty et al,

I had my first string algae problem this year. My
ponds were dominated by string algae. I had always had
some in late summer but nothing like this year and as
early, almost from starting the pump the first week.
It was clogging everything, especially my cascade
intakes, which, when totally clogged (they had drain
covers that were suppose to prevent a lot of this)
would over flow my ponds, which for above ponds is bad.

A pond company in our area came and spoke to our pond
club and during one part talked about algae and
specifically string algae and suggested using Alge-Fix,
because it yield excellent results, and also suggested
that if you use it to also follow-up with the
recommended dose of EcoFix after the Alge-Fix treatment.

I am not one use a lot of additives in my ponds, but
with my schedule and having to deal with cleaning the
cascade covers with the occasional pond overflows every
night I decided to give it a try. I added the
Alge-Fix, as directed for the required time, and then
followed up with the EcoFix as directed. The string
algae is virtually gone and left a cloudiness in the
pond, which disappeared virtually the first day after
adding the EcoFix.

The lecturer said that his company had used this
formula effectively in their pond business and that the
Alae-Fix got rid of the String algae, but the result
was dead algae in the pond for the pond environment to
deal with, so by adding the EcoFix, which, according to
the literature is "unique, highly active strains of
beneficial bacteria" that "make(s) pond water clear and
clean, allowing you to see and enjoy you beautiful,
healthy fish;" helped clean up the dead algae that was
left in the pond from the Alge-Fix.

Well, all I can say, is that that it "worked for me"
just like they said. Now my ponds are like they
usually are ever year; Clean and clear. What is
interesting is that I knew that there was some
unauthorized spawning going on, but now that they water
is cleared there has been a lot more than I suspected
by the number of young that are swimming around in each
pond.

My water parameters are as follows: pH - 8.3, ammonia
zero, nitrites zero, nitrates zero, KH - 100ppm, and my
GH - 300ppm.

So if your parameters are anything like mine your
success rate with the Alge-Fix/EcoFix combo should
should be pretty high.

HTH

Tom L.L.
Coffee wrote:
I found it at Hastings Hardware here in Pgh. He put in 2 tablespoons today-
His pond is approx. 2300 gals. Also heard Algae Fix was good for his green
trouble --does that work?

Patty

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
news
Have him check his pH first. Too high 8.5, Too low 6.5, WH can't take up
the food it needs.

I found my box at a Farm & Garden (Farmer's Exchange) HD didn't have it,
nor any other hardware/garden shop. ~ jan

I knew there was something you could add but since I don't use anything

in

my pond I wasn't sure what, or how much.
Where can he get this potash from?
Would Home Depot have it?
Patty

Old 20-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Coffee

Thanks Tom
My neighbor added it last nite --today its still yucky but I told him to
make sure he had extra aeration for the fish.
I have a pond to but its been in now for 13yrs and I have yet to take a
reading or add salt.
I have some pictures of mine here
http://community.webshots.com/album/125934886TjkZkm

Patty