Old 25-06-2004, 12:05 AM
joe

Default Mechanical filtration

Lately, as I've been sitting looking at my pond, I've noticed a lot of
little, itsy bitsy, teeny weenie, particles floating by. Many times I'm sure
I've seen the same particle twice in an hour. So I'm thinking perhaps some
form of mechanical filtration will help - like a vortex filter or some such
thing, that will help remove the small solids.

I have zero experience with such an animal and so am looking for advice. I
currently have a 4,000-5,000 gallon pond with a skimmer that feeds a bio
type falls. While I do not have what I would call a veggie filter
specifically designed for that purpose, as the water gets to my main pond it
does have to slug through several areas that have considerable vegetative
matter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Old 25-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Go Fig

In article , joe
wrote:

Lately, as I've been sitting looking at my pond, I've noticed a lot of
little, itsy bitsy, teeny weenie, particles floating by. Many times I'm sure
I've seen the same particle twice in an hour. So I'm thinking perhaps some
form of mechanical filtration will help - like a vortex filter or some such
thing, that will help remove the small solids.

I have zero experience with such an animal and so am looking for advice. I
currently have a 4,000-5,000 gallon pond with a skimmer that feeds a bio
type falls. While I do not have what I would call a veggie filter
specifically designed for that purpose, as the water gets to my main pond it
does have to slug through several areas that have considerable vegetative
matter.

Any help would be appreciated.

For mechanical filtration at this many gallons, I would use 1 Sand
Filter w/ 500 lbs of #16 silica sand. It will require 1 1/2" lines, 1
HP pump as a minimum. Add a UV to cut down on some of the burden on
the filter... your water will sparkle.

jay
Thu Jun 24, 2004

Thanks

Joe

Old 25-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Pat

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , joe
wrote:

[...]

I'm sure that works well, but a 1 HP pump (or more) will really send the
electric bill soaring. What about these "biofilters" that several vendor
(e.g. Oase, Hozelock) advertise?

Old 25-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Go Fig

In article kOLCc.113053$0y.88286@attbi_s03, Pat
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , joe
wrote:

[...]

At 5000 gal, that is an investment that comes with costs.

That said, in the summer months you could get away with running it for
16 hrs/day. In winter, if at all, 8hrs/day. Even less if you use a
27 event digital timer, so you could flush it for 2 minutes every so
often in the off times- to keep it from getting anywhere near an
anaerobic state.

What about these "biofilters" that several vendor
(e.g. Oase, Hozelock) advertise?

Not great at mechanical filtration, or not a sand filter which does a
superb job... time tested. 5000 gal, a lot of sun... that calls for a
sand filter, UV and water hyacinths IMHO.

jay
Thu Jun 24, 2004

Old 25-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Karen Mullen

I have a 4000 gallon pond and had the same fine particulat matter floating. I
add a layer of cotton batting as the final stage before the water returns to
the pond. Within 3 days the water cleared.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 25-06-2004, 05:10 PM
RichToyBox

The vortex type filters are good at catching and removing materials that
will settle out, and as such are great attached to a bottom drain. They do
not work well on the floaty stuff. Some form of good mechanical filter is
needed to remove the floaty stuff. The mechanical filter could be the sand
filter mentioned in this post, a bead filter, mats of quilting material for
the water to flow down through, plant roots in a veggie filter, or any
number of other materials that will catch fine material as it passes
through.
--
RichToyBox

Old 30-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Thick root masses in shallow filters do a good job at catching small stuff.
Once our plants are up, there is little small particulate stuff.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 30-06-2004, 11:13 PM
joe

Yes, I have those and they work (I can tell because when I pull a hyacinth
out I get a flow of mulm), but I still wonder if I couldn't do better. Maybe
a settlement chamber in my loop somewhere.

Joe
Who cares less and less as the summer progresses.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Slow water allows settling. Try moving the water through very slowly...as
in 45 minutes to go through. You will have most of the junk settle out.
Forcing the water through roots does collects a lot of the little stuff for
us.