Old 30-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Mike Patterson

Default Odd goldfish behavior during rain

It's raining all kinds of small mammals, I was just looking out the
window at the pond and all the goldfish are lined up against the rocks
lining the edges, looks like they're trying to beach themselves,
gasping at the surface.

I don't think they're in distress, as they're also chasing each other
around, I almost want to use the work "frolicing".

All the GF are doing this, large and small, though my "shiners" aren't
doing it at all.

Anyone want know what is going on?

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Old 30-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Bill Stock

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
It's raining all kinds of small mammals, I was just looking out the
window at the pond and all the goldfish are lined up against the rocks
lining the edges, looks like they're trying to beach themselves,
gasping at the surface.

I don't think they're in distress, as they're also chasing each other
around, I almost want to use the work "frolicing".

All the GF are doing this, large and small, though my "shiners" aren't
doing it at all.

Anyone want know what is going on?

Maybe eating any tasty things washing off the rocks?

My GF like to line up under the waterfall if it's been off for a while and I
restart it. I always thought they were after the oxygen/fresh water, as they
like to congregate at the end of the hose when I top up the pond. But maybe
it's the algea washing off the rocks.

Old 30-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Gale Pearce

Chasing each other - spawning? - My GF end up along the edges when the
females are trying to get away from the males - quite often the females are
trying to hide in a gap in the rocks along the edge, exhausted
Gale :~)

Old 30-06-2004, 09:20 PM

rain is acidic because as it falls it dissolves a shitload of CO2 carbon dioxide.
got aeration? is it mostly the larger ones up at the top?
Ingrid

Mike Patterson wrote:

It's raining all kinds of small mammals, I was just looking out the
window at the pond and all the goldfish are lined up against the rocks
lining the edges, looks like they're trying to beach themselves,
gasping at the surface.

I don't think they're in distress, as they're also chasing each other
around, I almost want to use the work "frolicing".

All the GF are doing this, large and small, though my "shiners" aren't
doing it at all.

Anyone want know what is going on?

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Mike Patterson

It seemed to be pretty much all the GF but not the shiners, I have a
small waterfall, a little parrotfeather, 2 lilies, a pickerel rush,
and quite bit of water hyacinth, watercress, and a little water
lettuce.

Once the rtain stopped they all went back to the noraml routine of
drifting around, nibbling on roots, etc.

Think I'll go test the water, haven't done that in a couple weeks.
Thanks
Mike

Mike Patterson wrote:

It's raining all kinds of small mammals, I was just looking out the
window at the pond and all the goldfish are lined up against the rocks
lining the edges, looks like they're trying to beach themselves,
gasping at the surface.

I don't think they're in distress, as they're also chasing each other
around, I almost want to use the work "frolicing".

All the GF are doing this, large and small, though my "shiners" aren't
doing it at all.

Anyone want know what is going on?

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Old 01-07-2004, 02:09 AM
Charles

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:14:38 -0400, Mike Patterson
wrote:

It's raining all kinds of small mammals, I was just looking out the
window at the pond and all the goldfish are lined up against the rocks
lining the edges, looks like they're trying to beach themselves,
gasping at the surface.

I don't think they're in distress, as they're also chasing each other
around, I almost want to use the work "frolicing".

All the GF are doing this, large and small, though my "shiners" aren't
doing it at all.

Anyone want know what is going on?

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Mine do something similar when the pond has been low due to
evaporation and I am refilling it. Best I can tell, they are eating,
or trying to eat, whatever has been out of the water and is now newly
available.
--

- Charles
-
Old 01-07-2004, 06:05 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "Bill Stock"
writes:

I always thought they were after the oxygen/fresh water, as they
like to congregate at the end of the hose when I top up the pond. But maybe
it's the algea washing off the rocks

lots of tiny little things grow on my watefall rocks and when I put them under
the waterfall to wash them off, the fish go crazy.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Could it not be the fish looking for warmer water (at the sides).

--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Mike Patterson wrote:

It's raining all kinds of small mammals, I was just looking out the
window at the pond and all the goldfish are lined up against the rocks
lining the edges, looks like they're trying to beach themselves,
gasping at the surface.

I don't think they're in distress, as they're also chasing each other
around, I almost want to use the work "frolicing".

All the GF are doing this, large and small, though my "shiners" aren't
doing it at all.

Anyone want know what is going on?

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Old 01-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Mike Patterson

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:27:20 +0200, "Happy'Cam'per" wrote:

Could it not be the fish looking for warmer water (at the sides).

Hmmm, doubt it, as the pond water temps have been running in the
mid-high 70s at 6 inches depth.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

[...]

I always thought this was akin to riding the East Australian Current, dude.

BV.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
Could it not be the fish looking for warmer water (at the sides).

snip

Or maybe..."hey did you hear that? I wonder what it was? Let's go up and
see. Maybe those food things are falling from the sky again."

BV.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Sander Vesik

Charles wrote:

Mine do something similar when the pond has been low due to
evaporation and I am refilling it. Best I can tell, they are eating,
or trying to eat, whatever has been out of the water and is now newly
available.

nah. they are feeling like its a time nature has set aside for making
little baby goldfish :P You know, snow is melting, old low water in
streams and ponds is suddenly replentished with lots of fresh...

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++