Old 02-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Jim

Default Catching Frogs

Some frog are nice to taste.

Hi Wong,

LOL.... I don't want to eat them. I want to catch a few and give them
to a friend for his pond (and to make mine less noisy).

Thanks for the suggestion on how to catch them.

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248
Old 03-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Hank

I did say as a last resort and if you crush down or remove the barb
from the hook it does very little damage. (I know, I know. How would I
like a hook in my lip. Well I don't eat anything that will fit in my
mouth..... not since Atkins anyway.) All kidding aside ... that is how
we used to catch bullfrogs when we were kids for those in our families
that ate them. Here in New Jersey we used to get some big ones
......... probably something to do with "Super Fund Sites" or what or
who is buried in our marsh-lands.
As for the hawks. I have only seen the Sharpshined once,
but the Cooper frequents the tree near my bird feeders and tries to
pick off a meal now and then.
"Bennies" are what we affectionately call tourists in this
part of the Jersey shore. Further south they are called "Shoo-bees"
(the sound made when they encounter their first GREENHEAD fly attack)
or "Webs" (week end bas ......... well, illegitimate children)
Back to the frogs ......... I am not really that bad a person
but you have to remember I was raised with the Sopranos and will never
tell which goal post Jimmy Hoffa is buried under.

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

"Mary kate" wrote in message
HANK !!!!!! that's a terrible idea shaking my head in disbelief
Hey.. does the hawk visit your pond allot ? Also...I've got to
know..What's a Bennie ?

Old 03-07-2004, 09:05 AM
nswong

"Jim" wrote in message

LOL.... I don't want to eat them. I want to catch a few and give

them
to a friend for his pond (and to make mine less noisy).

What a waste! Frog can demand a high price here. g

Thanks for the suggestion on how to catch them.

You are welcome. :-)

To tell the true, I do read a lot, but try little on what I read. I
has never do frog fishing before, but will do it in future when I'm
free.

For this frog fishing, should be quite reliable, because I read it a
few times from difference sources.

Cheers,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Hank

nswong, Be careful what you catch. If my memory serves me right,
some frogs from Cambodia and Malaysia are very toxic.

Old 04-07-2004, 02:02 AM
nswong

"Hank" wrote in message
news
nswong, Be careful what you catch. If my memory serves me right,
some frogs from Cambodia and Malaysia are very toxic.

I do catch frog and sell when I was a kid. Can recognize which are
edible. :-)

Thanks for your remind.

Thanks,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 04-07-2004, 06:02 AM
jammer

l lively junebugs

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:24:22 -0400, Jim wrote:

Can anyone suggest an easy way to catch frogs? I need to thin the
herd and have been unable to catch them by hand or net due to thick
plant cover. I have a small cage trap and was thinking of using it.
Any suggestions as to what to use as bait? I've tried live mealworms
and the frogs don't seem interested.

Any suggestions appreciated.....

Old 04-07-2004, 08:04 AM
nswong

"jammer" wrote in message

l lively junebugs

Here I will use grasshopper. This is what frog here get used to catch
for food. :-)

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 06-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Ka30P

CATCHING FROGS
This can be easier said than done (believe me!).
The best method is to try and catch frogs is at night since
they do a lot of their activities at night (including all night croak
fests). It is easiest with two people, a large sport type fishing net, a broom
or pole, a covered container (a few air holes punched in the lid) with an inch
of pond water in it and a flashlight.
Spotlight the frog with the flashlight (usually the net holder has the
flashlight). When the frog is dazzled, slowly place the net in front of the
frog. The other person with the broom or pole moves behind the
frog and gives him a prod in the hind quarters. The frog should then jump
forward, into the net and get tangled up. (This is why a sport fishing net is
better than the flat skimmer net or koi catching net.) Bring the net in, grasp
the frog and then turn him upside down. The frog will stop struggling and you
can gently untangle him from the net. Put him in the covered bucket and
transport him the next day to a natural pond far away from yours.
It is often said that consuming a six pack of beer on a hot summer night while
frog catching helps you think like a frog but we won't be responsible for what
the neighbors will think or what you should tell the responding police officer.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 28-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Jim

I gave up on using a cage trap and decided to use Kathy's suggestion
for catching frogs. Using the method described below, I've been able
to catch 5 frogs over a 9 day period. Things are much more quiet now.
Thanks Kathy!