Old 30-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Jim

Default Catching Frogs

Can anyone suggest an easy way to catch frogs? I need to thin the
herd and have been unable to catch them by hand or net due to thick
plant cover. I have a small cage trap and was thinking of using it.
Any suggestions as to what to use as bait? I've tried live mealworms
and the frogs don't seem interested.

Any suggestions appreciated.....

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248
Old 30-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Heather

Hi Jim:

I have bought both mealworms and crickets to feed my frogs. They definitely
don't like the mealworms. Try crickets. I can pat my frogs on their heads
so could probably get a net on them if I had to. Yours don't seem as tame.

Heather

Old 30-06-2004, 11:13 PM
WilsonKKW

Can anyone suggest an easy way to catch frogs? I need to thin the
herd and have been unable to catch them by hand or net due to thick

I have no advice, but an offer.I need frogs, will pay ya for them.. contact me

Old 01-07-2004, 03:06 AM
Hank

A long fishing pole and a trout fly ......... not very humane .......
but it works as a last resort. WARNING! bullfrogs can scream loudly
and draw a lot of attention.

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Old 01-07-2004, 03:06 AM
Benign Vanilla

"Jim" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest an easy way to catch frogs? I need to thin the
herd and have been unable to catch them by hand or net due to thick
plant cover. I have a small cage trap and was thinking of using it.
Any suggestions as to what to use as bait? I've tried live mealworms
and the frogs don't seem interested.

Any suggestions appreciated.....

What are you going to do with them when you catch them? You mention thinning
the herd, so for now I recommend that you run at the pond screaming as
loudly as you can. That should help.

BV.

Old 01-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Jim

Thanks for the suggestion, Heather. I bought a dozen live crickets
last night and will let you know how well it works.

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248

Old 01-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Jim

I won't try this method, as I don't want to hurt them.... However, I
do appreciate your input.

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248

Old 01-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Jim

I recommend that you run at the pond screaming as
loudly as you can.

LOL BV! I do this often and am getting hoarse, thus my desire to find
a less stressful method.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Cuk

can I sugggest that you remove the frogs spawn to reduce the population. its
easy to catch) and I am sure someone would be looking for a donation.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Jim

can I sugggest that you remove the frogs spawn to
reduce the population. its easy to catch)

Easy to catch? I have never seen eggs and can't think of a way to
catch the thousands of tadpoles that seem to be everywhere.
Fortunately the fish and nature take care of most of them.

I want to remove some of the adult frogs/toads which keep my neighbors
(and me) awake at night.

Old 02-07-2004, 02:03 AM
SVTKate

I have a ZILLION frogs...
if you are anywhere close to West Tennessee.. come on over! We'll make a
nice big pitcher of sweet tea and you can have all of them you can catch.

And if the froggin' is bad that day, we'll break out the Jack Daniels LOL

Kate

Old 02-07-2004, 02:04 AM
SVTKate

Nope, doesn't work.
You wanna see something funny, try a middle aged chubby lady running around
an 80' pond hollering at the croakers.
You'd need dry pants!

I currently have a fresh hatching of polywogs. Would like to stop this
generation before it can hop and holler!

Kate

Old 02-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Mary kate

HANK !!!!!! that's a terrible idea shaking my head in disbelief
Hey.. does the hawk visit your pond allot ? Also...I've got to
know..What's a Bennie ?

Old 02-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Heather

Hi Kate:

I understand that fish will eat green and bull frog eggs. If you don't
already have fish adding some might help.

Heather

nk.net...

Old 02-07-2004, 09:04 PM
nswong

Jim" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest an easy way to catch frogs? I need to thin the
herd and have been unable to catch them by hand or net due to thick
plant cover. I have a small cage trap and was thinking of using it.
Any suggestions as to what to use as bait? I've tried live

mealworms
and the frogs don't seem interested.

Do you fishing? When using live bait, collect it at the spot where you
fishing.

Observe what the frog catch for food, use it as bait and have some
frog fishing.

Frog just eat those thing that is moving, so as long as you make the
bait moving infront of the frog, the bait can be dead bait.

Some frog are nice to taste. :-)

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m