Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Pond Diver

Default Hlep

Help me.

My fish are dying at a rate of 2 - 3 per day. I don't know exactly why.
But I suspect it is a combination of temperature and pH. (pH around 8.0)
How I don't know...

My pond is in full sun and can get quite warm above 80F easy. But now the
pond is cooler sense the outdoor temps have become more tolerable. Anyway,
I noticed I was loosing some fish. I tested the water and everything came
back OK except the water hardness, and pH. Both were way high. like a pH
of 8.0. Ammonia and nitrate levels were great. Hell, I've even noticed the
string algae that started to grow dropped deader than a hammer as well!!!!
Something is in my pond water and its killing my fish.

Any ideas? Can temp cause a high pH level? Should I make my pond deeper
because its in full sun and can get quite warm? The current depth is 18-24
inches and approx 250gal. I had about 20 goldfish averaging 3-6 inches in
length. I'm down to about 8 and they're moaping around like the grim reaper
is on their shoulders.

Help!!

PondDiver

Old 01-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Pond Diver" wrote in message
[...]

You say your params are OK. Is your ammonia zero? In warmer water, you'll
tend to have less oxygen. In a small amount like 250 gallons, you are more
suscetible to swings in chemistry, and the fish are more at risk. If you are
losing 2-3 per day...how many do you have in 250 gallons?

Are there any outside issues? Chemicals being sprayed, etc?

Are the plants OK?

Are any other critters dieing?

BV.

Old 01-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Bonnie

You say your params are OK. Is your ammonia zero? In warmer water, you'll
tend to have less oxygen. In a small amount like 250 gallons, you are more
suscetible to swings in chemistry, and the fish are more at risk. If you are
losing 2-3 per day...how many do you have in 250 gallons?

Are there any outside issues? Chemicals being sprayed, etc?

Are the plants OK?

Are any other critters dieing?

BV.

Yea, what he said. A ph of 8 is fine for a pond. I think
something else is most likely the problem.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 01-07-2004, 08:05 PM
tim chandler

Do you have any aeration at all, a bubbler, a waterfall, anything to put
some oxygen into the water?

Old 01-07-2004, 09:06 PM
SanDiegoJoe

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

"Pond Diver" wrote in message
[...]

If your parameters are good, I think we had a thread awhile back about
runoff into the pond containing pesticide. Any chance of that?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons. Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Barbara2245

"Pond Diver" wrote in message
[...]

You had too many fish and now they are down to a safer amount. A pond
needs a pump-fountain to get oxygen in to the water and a bio-filter
to handle the ammonia, etc. The pond needs 60% surface coverage to
keep the temps down especially in a smaller pond. My pond is in full
sun and the well water has a 8.4 pH. Even when I had a smaller pond
there were no problems due to the fountain-pump and bio-filter. Invest
in Low-Maintanence Water Gardens by Helen Nash. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:05 AM

high temp requires serious aeration
the depth is not suitable for stability if the temp swings wildly it will kill GF
pH is fine
major problem is you are way overstocked. figure 20-30 gallons of water per GF
1. start doing large water changes, like 50 gallons
2. get an air pump and 2 large air stones
3. add a pound of crystal salt... that is rock salt for water softeners or kosher
salt, no additives. that will help the survivors throw off whatever

if you got birds bathing in the pond they are bringing diseases in.. but I think your
major problem is overstocking.. you dont say what kind of filter you got going on
there. Ingrid

"Pond Diver" wrote:
My pond is in full sun and can get quite warm above 80F easy.
string algae that started to grow dropped deader than a hammer as well!!!!
Any ideas? Can temp cause a high pH level? Should I make my pond deeper
because its in full sun and can get quite warm? The current depth is 18-24
inches and approx 250gal. I had about 20 goldfish averaging 3-6 inches in
length. I'm down to about 8 and they're moaping around like the grim reaper
is on their shoulders.

Help!!

PondDiver

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Pond Diver

Noticed my lillies are turning yellow and dying. Some pads aren't even
getting large, just turning brown around the edges

No other critters other than goldfish. I HAD around 25 or so. I had 19 in
the 250 gal and 6 in the smaller 90 gal

Old 02-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Pond Diver

nope, we purposely do not use pesticides in the backyard period due to our
dogs and the pond(s).

..

Old 02-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
high temp requires serious aeration
the depth is not suitable for stability if the temp swings wildly it will

kill GF
pH is fine
major problem is you are way overstocked. figure 20-30 gallons of water

per GF
1. start doing large water changes, like 50 gallons
2. get an air pump and 2 large air stones
3. add a pound of crystal salt... that is rock salt for water softeners or

kosher
salt, no additives. that will help the survivors throw off whatever

if you got birds bathing in the pond they are bringing diseases in.. but I

think your
major problem is overstocking.. you dont say what kind of filter you got

going on
there. Ingrid

snip

I partially concur.

1. Get some aeration going. You can never have too much
2. Shade the pond if possible to help keep temps down.
3. Partial water changes will help keep the temps down, but BE SURE TO TREAT
FOR CHLORINE/CHLORAMINE.

As Ingrid would suspect, I don't agree with the salt item. But hey Ingrid
3 out of 4 aint' bad is it?

BV.