Old 03-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Jeff

Default Newbbie

Yes, I'm a newbie with a pond.
I made a very small pond for my 2 yo daughter. My problem is that I get the
green pea soup so bad.
Last year I put fish in it and I thought that "fueled" my problem, however
this year no fish and same problem.
The pond is under a large tree that gets mostly shade. The pond is so small
I hate to cover it in plants.
I have tried organic chemicals but want to avoid anything toxic as while we
do live in town, there are several birds that use it for the local watering
hole so I don't want to harm them. Any suggestions. I would like to put in
a couple of goldfish. I am embarrassed to say that it is under 200 gallons
not as serious as I would like to make it but with limited space it is a
start. I have looked at UV sterilizers and wondered what you all thought
and if it is a good idea which one.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-07-2004, 12:05 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

it is under 200 gallons
green pea soup so bad.
this year no fish and same problem.
gets mostly shade.
I have tried organic chemicals
I would like to put in a couple of goldfish.

Hi Newbie,

When it went green did you remove all the water, scrubbing off the sides,
and refill?

Do you have a fountain, little waterfall or something similar, moving
water?

Here's what you do, IMHO, get one lily, and some various iris, these won't
cover the water surface too badly. Let it go green and don't touch it, the
pond has to cycle, be patient. The algae is feeding off the new water
nutrients. Do not remove algae growing on the sides, this is also part of
the filter and retards the growth of pea soup algae.

Once it clears, add 2 of the smallest fantail goldfish you can find. It may
go green again, but be patient.

Please report on your progress, and when you add the 2 fish, we'll give you
more instruction on what to watch for to keep them healthy. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a