Old 05-07-2004, 09:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Greetings from a newbie!

Great little pond start into the Porg collective.
-------
The Borg said:
"We are _Borg_ resistant is futile, you will be assimilated."
The Porg say:
"We are Porg, resistant IS futile, you will be pond-elated."

P - Pond, O - Oriented, R - Recreational, G - Group
------

10 gallons/goldfish is the standard aquarium rule, but to be on the safe
side ponders usually recommend 20 gallons outside. What it really comes
down to though is, how big is your filter? As RTB mentioned pond chemistry,
in a small amount of water with a high fish load, the chemistry can go
south very fast. I'd recommend 10% water change outs once a week and a
water flow rate of 250 gph, as one would do on a large aquarium.

Would you like to know about test kits? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
AngieB

On 7/5/04 2:50 PM, in article
, "~ jan JJsPond.us"

The Borg said:
[...]

We have a 210 GPH pump but we don't actually have a filter. I did place a
soft foam block over the intake and I clean it weekly -- it picks up a lot
of stuff. The water just goes up to the waterfall and back in. Pretty
elementary, I know.

Do I need a skippy filter or something? I thought I was good with the plants
and doing the water changes once a month. If I have to do an actual filter,
I think we should do one that would be adequate to filter like 500-600
gallons because we are already planning to add another 500 gallon pond.

And how about those test kits? What do I need?

Thanks for your help!

Angie

Old 06-07-2004, 12:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

We have a 210 GPH pump but we don't actually have a filter. I did place a
soft foam block over the intake and I clean it weekly -- it picks up a lot
of stuff. The water just goes up to the waterfall and back in. Pretty
elementary, I know.

To really know if your situation is working you would need a test kit for
at least ammonia & nitrite, the next 2 test kits I consider important are
pH & KH plus a thermometer.

Do I need a skippy filter or something?

No, nothing that drastic, but a flower pot filter would be perfect. You can
see 2 versions on my website by clicking *My Filter* and scrolling to the
bottom of the page, the one on the left is a factory made by Tetra, the one
on the right is homemade. I recently made my own for my lily pond, cost
under $15, not counting media, which can be cheap vinyl coated window
screening. On page 7, bottom right, of *My pond photos* is a recommended
way to encase your pump, instead of dealing with that little prefilter foam
you're cleaning weekly. Encasing it with mesh (do not leave the foam on)
will make it so you won't have to disturb the pump, and residents, in the
pond at all.

I thought I was good with the plants
and doing the water changes once a month.

You obviously have been, but your fish are growing and you want to prevent
"Critical Mass". That's when things go sour, fish get sick, half die while
you try to get things back to right again. This is where the test kits come
in. I highly recommend the tests kits from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.,
very easy to use, and reasonably priced. So far the cheapest place to
purchase is thru www.thatpetplace.com Sometimes you can find them at a pet
store, if so, open the box, one of the bottles will have a manufacturing
date on the front label at the top. You want that date to be no later than
1/04, though they claim they're good for 2 years. The KHA program
recommends getting fresh kits every year. ~ jan

Old 06-07-2004, 01:02 AM
AngieB

On 7/5/04 5:42 PM, in article
, "~ jan JJsPond.us"
wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Jan, for such a thorough response! I have my work cut out for me.
I think they have the test kits at a local pet supply -- I've looked at
them, but didn't know what to buy. Now I do!

I get to working on a filter solution next.

Thank you again! You guys are so nice!

Angie -- newest member of the PORG collective

Old 06-07-2004, 05:07 AM
Ka30P

Hi Angie, welcome to rec.ponds!

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 06-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , AngieB
writes:

I got some more varieties of sedum from my sister today to put in between
the rocks and stuff. I'm having such fun!

Angie,

That's the whole point of having a pond to have fun and enjoy it. Take care to
look after what you have and bigger and all that other stuff will come
naturally cause you'll know exactly what you want where.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 06-07-2004, 03:04 PM
AngieB

On 7/5/04 10:40 PM, in article ,
"Ka30P" wrote:

Hi Angie, welcome to rec.ponds!

kathy :-)
algae primer

Thanks!

Old 21-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Pinkpggy

Welcome to ponding. Angie. I can tell from your comments that you are hooked.
It won't be long before you and your hubby will decide to put in a larger pond.
When you do, go the largest your space will hold. Believe me, from
experience, I can tell you thats the way to go.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Old 28-07-2004, 09:03 AM
AngieB

On 7/21/04 3:18 PM, in article ,
"Pinkpggy" wrote:

Welcome to ponding. Angie. I can tell from your comments that you are hooked.
It won't be long before you and your hubby will decide to put in a larger
pond.
When you do, go the largest your space will hold. Believe me, from
experience, I can tell you thats the way to go.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Thanks for the welcome, Jan! I tell ya, Cox news servers have been down all
day and I was just now able to grab messages -- I was having withdrawals!
Unfortunately, I have a gap in messages from yesterday at 9 pm to 2 pm this
afternoon. Hope I didn't miss anything! I'll hafta google the group later.

I really really want a larger pond, but I think our first priority for the
back yard is a new privacy fence. But a new pond is already planned in my
head! We'll get there!

Thanks again!
- Angie

greetings - i'm a newbie :) dudley Gardening 2 27-11-2007 08:43 PM
Season's Greetings JCMumsie Gardening 1 25-12-2003 03:12 PM
Greetings fellow gardeners [email protected] Edible Gardening 1 26-08-2003 11:32 PM
[IBC] Greetings from Harare Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 03-02-2003 08:52 PM
Greetings from Harare Andrew Field Bonsai 0 03-02-2003 06:45 PM