Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
AngieB

Default Greetings from a newbie!

I've been lurking and reading for a little over a month now. My husband,
Randy and I decided over Memorial Day weekend to put in a pond -- we just
kinda jumped in a did it! It's small, just a 60 gallon pre-formed liner, but
we like it. My dad had the brilliant idea to put fish in it without our
knowledge about a week after we put it in the ground. I thought the fish
were doomed for sure since it was filled with city water and we had no
plants yet. But, the 8 goldfish (2-3 inches long) and "Big Freddy" the 6
inch guy seem to be doing fine. Very active and they come to me when I go
out to feed them. It's probably too many fish for the size, but what do you
do? My dad was being sweet, y'know?

We need to have a permanent solution for the electricity -- the orange
extension cord running to the garage is not very pretty. And I want to
landscape around it with more rocks and pea gravel. We were lucky enough to
have all the rocks we needed to surround the pond and build the bench from
rocks that used to be a patio. Our driveway is native stone and when the
house was built in the 30s the patio was stone too. Over the years someone
pulled out the stones and piled them in the corner of the back yard. So we
just started going through the pile and building the perimeter. There's
still plenty left over for more landscaping.

I opened a webshots account so I could show you guys pictures and see if you
had any suggestions for me. I really have no idea what I'm doing -- but I'm
reading everything I can get my hands on. We have had consistently clear
water so far -- it did get a little dirty a couple of days ago when we had a
huge rainstorm. And I'm doing a 20% water change once a month.

So...whaddya think? http://community.webshots.com/album/159023062ZIhpAQ

I sure enjoy reading all the posts in the group! There's so much to learn...

Angie
Tulsa, OK

Old 03-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Hank

I think your hooked, There is plenty of time before Labor Day to put
the bigger pond down stream. You do want "Big Freddy" to be happy,
don't you? ;-} Why does the song "Another one bites the dust" always
pop into my head at times like this.
Congratulations and welcome to ponding. Hank

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Old 03-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Mosfunland

Yep you are doomed now.....you'll want a bigger one soon enough......but what
you have created is lovely! Enjoy...

maureen
Old 03-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

You guys got right to it. Very nice.

Now enjoy it and begin to see little visions of a larger pond!

Phyllis

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 04-07-2004, 12:05 AM
GrannyGrump

Nice!

Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 AM
AngieB

On 7/3/04 4:11 PM, in article ,
"Hank" wrote:

I think your hooked, There is plenty of time before Labor Day to put
the bigger pond down stream. You do want "Big Freddy" to be happy,
don't you? ;-} Why does the song "Another one bites the dust" always
pop into my head at times like this.
Congratulations and welcome to ponding. Hank

Yeah, I might just be hooked. Just down from the pond is an indentation in
the yard that water flows along when we get really heavy rains. I think that
would be a good path to take to make a stream to flow into a larger pond.
That would make a good fall project.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Hank! And Big Freddy isn't named after Freddy
Mercury. I did think of Freddy Mercury and his love of Koi after the fact
though. See, my friend and I, that's what we call the one that is bigger
than the others. Like her giant Hibiscus tree -- He's Big Freddy too.

Angie

Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 AM
AngieB

On 7/3/04 4:24 PM, in article ,
"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote:

You guys got right to it. Very nice.

Now enjoy it and begin to see little visions of a larger pond!

Phyllis

Thanks, Phyllis! The water lettuce and hyacinth really have gone crazy. And
the sedum I stuck in between the rocks is really getting established pretty
quickly. I'm actually pretty proud of the progress we've made in just a
month or so.

Is a bigger pond really not that much more to take care of than a small one?
I just worry about maintenance if we put in another.

Angie

Old 04-07-2004, 03:02 AM
RichToyBox

Bigger is easier, at least to a point. Small bodies of water change
temperature and chemistry so quickly, which can be stressful for the fish.
Larger problems allow for more dilution of the wastes, so they don't jump as
quickly. Of course if the pond is much bigger, like deeper than you stand,
it makes it hard to get in and plant and fertilize the lilies.
--
RichToyBox

Old 04-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Mosfunland

I have taken away the flamingo and iron candle holder
thingie since I took the pictures. After seeing the pond in photos, I
thought my aren't I tacky with the flamingo. Simpler is better. I had a
white trash pond there for awhile! LOL

Oh no I love the flamingo....have two in my whitetrash back yard...LOL....my
neighbor loves it too....oh well to each their own.....

Maureen

Old 04-07-2004, 04:04 PM
AngieB

On 7/4/04 12:06 AM, in article ,
"Karen Mullen" wrote:

In article ,

(Mosfunland) writes:

I have taken away the flamingo and iron candle holder
thingie since I took the pictures. After seeing the pond in photos, I
thought my aren't I tacky with the flamingo. Simpler is better. I had a
white trash pond there for awhile! LOL

Oh no I love the flamingo....have two in my whitetrash back yard...LOL....my
neighbor loves it too....oh well to each their own.....

it's not white trash...it's Retro, the 50s are in nowadays

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Karen,
I just visited your site. I really enjoyed seeing your pictures. And your
doggie portraits are very nice!
The more I visit different pond sites, the clearer it becomes that I am,
indeed, doomed! Bigger! More fish! A stream! Waterfalls! I am SO in trouble.

Angie

Old 04-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Chris and Jacqui Tondreau

"AngieB" wrote in message
[...]

Wow! You have made a lovely little pond! You may be a tad overstocked in
the fish dept (they need about 10 gal. each), but if you're careful about
the water quality you can pull it off. And, too many fish are just an
excuse to build a bigger pond! :-)

Jacqui

Old 05-07-2004, 02:02 AM
AngieB

On 7/4/04 10:29 AM, in article ,
"Chris and Jacqui Tondreau" wrote:

"AngieB" wrote in message
[...]

I told my dad that was too many fish, but they are all getting along
swimmingly! Ha!

Oh, I wanted to share about how I put the potted plants on the side...I
didn't want to take up any of the fish's swimming space, but I was given the
horsetail and whatever the other thing is and had to do something! Here's
what I came up with: I had this triangular plastic coated wire shelf that is
supposed to mount and hang over the edge of the deck railing in the corners
-- like this: http://tinyurl.com/yw5re. I just slipped the overhang part
under the rock and it just hangs onto the edge of the liner a couple of
inches into the water. It's a great way to put plants on the edges without
building a platform for them to sit on. It's working so far and could be
really good for plants that don't need to be all the way into the water.

Thanks for the compliment! I told my husband today about wanting to make a
stream and bigger pond. He wasn't very enthusiastic...it's back breaking
work! But even so, the rewards are so great.

I got some more varieties of sedum from my sister today to put in between
the rocks and stuff. I'm having such fun!

Angie

greetings - i'm a newbie :) dudley Gardening 2 27-11-2007 08:43 PM
Season's Greetings JCMumsie Gardening 1 25-12-2003 03:12 PM
Greetings fellow gardeners [email protected] Edible Gardening 1 26-08-2003 11:32 PM
[IBC] Greetings from Harare Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 03-02-2003 08:52 PM
Greetings from Harare Andrew Field Bonsai 0 03-02-2003 06:45 PM